Missing Instructions - Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar Clone (brewcraft)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXCrash

Gunshy
Reaction score
Hoping someone has instructions for this one... Smack pack is activated and I have a general idea of what to do, but it'd be nice if I'd gotten the actual instructions....

Kinda kicking myself for buying the kit - no labels on what's what... Bull****

So What's in the kit?

Brewcraft Hazelnut Extract

Name - item # - Best guess at weight (no scale)
Flavor Hops - 10047 - probably .25 - .5 oz
Aroma Hops - 10048 - about the same
Bittering Hops - 100124 2-3 times the weight of the aroma and flavor

Specialty grains - 100122 - 2? lbs
specialty extracts" - big and small 1 and , both labeled 100125

Someone else brew this and have the instructions handy?

I'll call my LHBS in the morning and HOPE they still have the other box (with instructions I'd imagine)

Just not sure if there are any special steps - and at what times to add each hop (I'd imagine 60, 30, and 0) and at what temp, time and volume to steep (or mash?) the specialty grains at.

The BYO article has a hazelnut clone and suggests steeping the grains at 154 for 30 min, rinsing with 3.2 qts of 170 deg water, yet only calls for two hop additions - at 30 and 60...

Help?

Steep the grains at 160 for 30 min in 2.5 quarts, rinsing with 3 qts of 170 deg water
Pour in the kettle with the extract and
Add water to bring up to 6 gallons (or as much as you can boil easily)

Bittering at 60
Flavor at 30
Aroma at 5

Cool to 70F and top off if needed to 5.5 gallons.

Thanks David!

Figured pretty much the same but had no way to figure "mash thickness". Damn kits. My first and probably only kit beer (even if it turns out perfectly).

Oregonians Helping Oregonians... Love it (dogwash sounds interesting BTW).

Kits are good - WHEN you get instructions and contents. then you can tweak once the product is finished. Sort of useless when you get no contents.

What did they give you for the hazelnut flavoring ???

I tried an AHS Rogue Hazel clone. it's OK but it's not super close to the actual thing. The trick is the hazelnut NOT mixing in wit hteh other flavors and I don't know how that is done. The real thing has a very unique taste event with the hazelnut the last thing on your palate.

So far my tries have had the hazelnut just mixing in with all the other flavors.

The brewcraft hazelnut extract was what they included for the hazelnut flavoring.

Not sure when to add that... still haven't gotten outside to start brewing yet...

The brewcraft hazelnut extract was what they included for the hazelnut flavoring.

Not sure when to add that... still haven't gotten outside to start brewing yet...

Forget about the extract for right now. You'll add it to taste just before bottling, and that's a month off!

Warning on the Brewcraft Hazelnut. If it's the same bottle I got (alone, not in a kit) it's a 2 oz bottle that says to use all 2 oz! NO!!!! I used 1 oz and the hazlenut is way too much. Still drinkable, but there is no hiding it. I'd sugest starting with 1/4 oz or even less and go up from there if needed.

It's the same bottle as sold seperately. I'll take heed on the 2 oz bit - though this beer is mostly for my wife, who'd probably dig an "over hazelnutted" brew. This is the one batch so far that I plan on bottling rather than kegging - she's a slow drinker and 2 cases will probably last her close to a year... (I dig the beer, but I'll take a pale ale, amber ale, heffe, or the occasional IPA over it any time). I MAY hazelnut 1/2 and not hazelnot the other...

And I haven't made it outside because I'm a lazy SOB and the sooner I'm done brewing, the sooner I'll be "available" for other tasks. And it's farking cold out there.

I used .1/2oz hazelnut extract (not that one so take it for what it's worth). it was enough - I would not want to go more then 1/2 oz.

Got her brewed, albeit with a little "addition" (steel shot from the thermometer). May have gotten some HSA because of what I did afterwords, but oh farking well! (Doubt its's an issue since all remedial action was done BEFORE the full boil).

Last kit beer (without listed ingredients... isn't the point being able to tweak a recipie after ya brew it a time or two?), and last farking glass thermometer... I'm all about glass carboys (Anyone wanna put aside some blood for me?) but fark glass thermometers!

Just Fark! Fark kits! Fark glass thermometers! Fark! (See... I can say the F word!)

Shouldnt post drunk...

Yeah... not super concerned about the HSA other than the fact that this beer might hang around for close to a year. It's a brew for the wife, yadda yadda yadda.

Damn. Drunk posting last night and still up at 7 this am. Figure that one out (I think the dog's fart woke me up... If I could bottle that crap it'd be a straight up weapon ;-))

Figured I'd update this...

Beer turned out fantastic after aging for a bit. It's been better each time I've pulled a pint (initially it was a bit blah so I let it sit in the keg at room temp for a bit). Too bad I'll never get to see it at it's prime (it's almost gone...).

So - The kit kinda sucked in presentation, but I'm impressed with the contents.

Back