First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skizotty

Reaction score
I am doing an IPA for my first time and my basement where I am looking to ferment is a little cool. I can sustain 65-67 degrees. Do you think this will be adequate fermenting and bottle storing temp?

I'd go a bit cooler on the fermenting temp if possible, at least to start. Then I would bottle condition warmer, maybe 70-72.

The fermentation temp is yeast dependent. Check the optimal range and stay toward the bottom for the cleanest flavors. For me, when a yeast says ferment between 60-67, I cool it to 58 and SLOWLY let it creep up to 60, hold a few days through the most active fermentation, then raise it up a few more degrees.

I am doing an IPA for my first time and my basement where I am looking to ferment is a little cool. I can sustain 65-67 degrees. Do you think this will be adequate fermenting and bottle storing temp?

Yes, but maybe a little on the warm side for fermentation. Which yeast strain do you have? They have an optimum temperature range listed on the manufacturer's website and I've noticed that if I start at about 62 degrees, fermentation itself warms the fermenting beer up to about 66-68 degrees so I try to keep it a bit lower than your area.

I don't have it in front of me but I will check the proper temp. Thanks for the input!

Back