Forgot to "burp"... Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris7687

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I went all out and bought a kegerator yesterday and two kegs. After replacing all the lines and sanitizing all the parts I kegged my Irish Red. I am now at work and reading that I needed to burp the beer before letting it sit. There shouldnt be any major porblems if I didn't burp it, correct? Is it alright if I bleed it out a little bit tonight or just leave it as is? It is sitting at 12 psi right now. Was going to rock it a little bit tonight to try to force carb it to have ready by Friday, do I rock it at the 12 psi or boost it to like 30 psi while rocking and then leave it in the fridge unplugged from the co2? Going to keg a Light Ale I made too tonight, let it chill and then try force kegging it tomorrow after the temp drops on it overnight, so looking for advice before I possibly screw up another keg.

You may introduce a little oxygen, depends on how full the keg is with how much headspace is there. Overall, I'd say you are fine.

As for rocking it and the psi, if you rock it back and forth at your psi setting to reach ideal volumes, you'll never risk over carbonation. It just may take more rocking. I'd recommend doing that. If you decide to jack it up to 30psi, then I'd not rock it and just let it sit for 24hrs. Rocking can lead to over carbing at 30psi. That's why I'd recommend leaving it at your serving psi and let it sit for a week, or rock it until it's carbed. Up to you really.

You'll be fine overall. Again, you may have introduced a little o2 into the brew by not purging the headspace, but I wouldn't dwell on it. Just move on, drink it up, and keep a kegging!

Brewnoob - Is it worth while to purge it when I get home in a few hours or has the "damage" already been done? It's a Irish Red, this is my first time kegging my own beer, but I was told the serving would be around 8. Do you think if I leave it at 12 and rock it for 10 minutes then leave it hooked up at 12 for the next 4 days it will be ready by Friday around 8? Having a party Friday and was hoping to have two kegs ready to drink. I might be off on my thinking of how things work, still trying to grasp the idea.

You could purge, wouldn't hurt, but not sure how much it would honestly help at this point. It would be pushed into the beer by this point I'd think. I don't think you'll honestly tell any difference at this early stage. Go a month or so and then the flavor might slowly change. I wouldn't worry about it honestly.

If your volumes desired has it set at 8psi, I'd set it there and do the rocking. If it were me and I had a deadline, I'd do all the rocking as early as I could to allow ample time to let things settle back down. Just pour out the first pint or so as it will have all the sediment that has fallen out and you should be golden. You can always check on Thursday the carbonation level and adjust as needed with still plenty of time for adjustments.

So I put it up to 20psi last night and rocked it and left it on the gas at 12 psi. It is still at 12 psi today. I was thinking of bumping it down to 9-10 psi to let it sit and get adjusted to that psi as that is where I am looking to serve it on Friday. Does this sound good or should I leave it a little higher or what?

Ended kegging another brew I had last night, let it cool over night and tried to force carb it this morning before I left for work.... what an ordeal and newbie mistake. I pulled it out of the fridge, disconnected the gas from the first keg, hooked it up to the second keg and knocked it up to 25 psi, rocked it for about 4 minutes. It took a good amount of air. Stood it back up, unplugged everything from the second keg and hooked the gas back up to the first keg at 12 psi. I was about to leave but thought that I should probably leave the gas on the second keg too at 12 psi. Went to hook it up.... beer everywehere! All through my gas lines and in the fridge. Had to frantically take everything apart, sanitize it, and put it back together cause I wanted to leave my first keg on gas at 12 throughout the day. What a mess! Should I reconnect the 2nd keg tonight and leave it at 12 psi too? If so, blow off some gas first through the release valve or leave it?

If it's in your gas line, make sure you don't have any issues with the regulator. That's what a check valve does. The varying pressure can cause beer to go back up through the gas line and screw your regulator. What I do for good practice, is always disconnect the gas before making adjustments as well as pull the relief valve to empty out the pressure. That is, if I'm doing any kind of pressure changes. If you didn't take off the lid, no reason to repurge after hooking it back up. You can, but it is just wasted gas IMHO. I would clean and sanitize the top though.

To answer your first question, I would set your regulator and serve at whatever pressure will give you the volumes you want based on temperature. I run my keezer at 38 and have my regulator set around 10.

I highly recommended purging the O2, aka burping the keg, before you put it away and to start carbonating. I learned this the really hard way. On about my 5th kegged batch, I siphoned the glorious tasting double IPA into the keg. The sample tasted so wonderful before I transferred it. Since there was a lot of dry hopping, I didnt quite get 5 gallons. So there was a lot of headspace in the keg when I sealed it. In my excitement, I closed the lid, kicked the CO2 up to 30psi and put in the kegerator. The next morning I turned the pressure down, released the pressure, set to 10 psi, to see how far along the beer was carbonated. The beer was ruined. It tasted like wet cardboard. It was such a disappointment. I basically had to drink 4.5 gallons of oxygenated double IPA. If I had only burped the keg, that large headspace full of 02 would have never made its way into the brew. :-( THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. :)

Back