Rogue Maple Bacon ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdecker04

Reaction score
My friends and I are looking to get our hands on some of the Rogue Voodoo donut maple bacon ale. It's super expensive to get it shipped her per bottle so we were looking to see if anybody could help. We live in NH so we have access to tons of good east coast beers. If anybody is interested in trading or making a deal PM me.

I went to VooDoo Donut in Portland last year and had the actual Maple Bacon Bar. It was perfect. Hmm...I'll keep an eye out for the brew - I've read the reviews on it, as I'm sure you have. Supposed to be...interesting.

I want to try it so bad but to order one bottle online an have it shipped here cost a fortune. It's 13 for the beer and 14 for shipping. That's why i am hoping someone can get there hands on it for me.

someone gave me a bottle last week. I've been meaning to try it. I have a growler filled with Dead Guy so that gets priority

someone gave me a bottle last week. I've been meaning to try it. I have a growler filled with Dead Guy so that gets priority

You know what kind of access we have to Maple Bacon? IIRC - wasn't it discontinued and what's left of it is all there is?

I don't have access to the beer now, but tried it on a trip to Seattle last fall. My two cousins and I couldn't finish the bottle. We all agreed it would be great to cook with, but was just to much to drink more then a few sips.

I don't have access to the beer now, but tried it on a trip to Seattle last fall. My two cousins and I couldn't finish the bottle. We all agreed it would be great to cook with, but was just to much to drink more then a few sips.

Yea...I remember talking to a guy who had sampled it. He referred to it as a "Noble Attempt".

Not to take away from the OP's desire to get ahold of a bottle. Heck, I'd love to try it. I mean, it's a beer clone of an exotic doughnut. It's hard to comprehend that. It'd be easier to divide by zero. As far as the brewing process goes, where do you even start? Porter, with...

ya know?

mdeck04, hope I didn't discourage your effort. Wish I could help you track one down. The beer was fun to try. But if you don't get a bottle have some peace of mind knowing that I doubt you would have finished the bottle without 10 friends to help.

well i've heard of making a porter and throwing in chocolate chip cookies in the secondary. Maybe they threw in the doughnuts!!

edit:

or this: http://rogue.com/beers/voodoo-bacon-maple.php They added applewood-smoked bacon and maple flavoring. Adding meat to a secondary sounds like an infection waiting to happen. Hopefully it was bacon cured with Star San

Yea, sarcasm aside, I'd imagine nothing survives the frying pan.

I may get around to making a General Tso's Altbier one of these days

I have access to the beer if you need a bottle shipped. I'm down at Rogue all the time. Not sure what shipping via fed ex would cost to you though...

I saw this beer at Whole Foods on Friday. I'm in California so it's probably the same shipping cost. Let me know.

Hey if either of you can check the shipping cost and it's decently less I would be greatly appreciative

Rogue has garage sales where cases of their 22oz bottles go for as low as 25 bucks a case. You need to get connected with someone that might be able to find a case at a garage sale. Might be hard since its usually the overstocked (aka not as popular) beer. But the rogue garage sale might be the way to go.

Rogue has garage sales where cases of their 22oz bottles go for as low as 25 bucks a case. You need to get connected with someone that might be able to find a case at a garage sale. Might be hard since its usually the overstocked (aka not as popular) beer. But the rogue garage sale might be the way to go.

This isn't entirely true. The garage sales are also for misbranded beers. Say they run out of bottles for one beer and end up bottling it in another. I bought 5 cases a few years ago like that, they weren't the less popular beers, just misbranded.

Im drinking one now and its delicious. Def different and not for someone that doesnt have an adventurous pallet. I would send one if I could but FL is super strict about sending alc via mail. But I can say it is very worth the high price tag and Im now looking for a clone.

Anyone in the bay area or especially SF can get it... But the cost + Shipping will basicly be the same. Maby save $3-$4...

I bought one at the green dragon for 13. {haven't tried it yet..) I don't think you'll save any money having someone on hbt ship it to you

I had it a few weeks ago on a vacation to SF. A friend and I split a bomber and couldn't finish it. It was a little overwhelming after the first few sips. Writing about it makes me feel a little sick to my stomach........:(

Ya... Not that rare around here...

539878_412297702128250_398117776879576_1416708_738959155_n.jpg

Will trade for a Cantillon Iris!

just tried it the other night. It is actually pretty good. Doesn't taste like bacon at all (probably a good thing) but it smells slightly of the bacon doughnut. I do however taste the maple syrup coming through on a nice brown, almost amber ale. It's a bit funky because it's one of a kind. However, if you think of what it should taste like, it's delicious. I could drink it for breakfast, right next to my coffee porter!

mdeck04, hope I didn't discourage your effort. Wish I could help you track one down. The beer was fun to try. But if you don't get a bottle have some peace of mind knowing that I doubt you would have finished the bottle without 10 friends to help.

Working on a bottle now. Wish I had 10 friends to help.

I'm alone and at $15.99 I'm drinking every dang drop regardless.

Im up in Vancouver BC my sous chef brought in a bottle to sample last night after we finished a party. It's got great notes starts very mapley then smokey and at the end like bacon greese. Not for everyone but I like it:ban: It's suposed to be hard to find up here but after work we went to the liquior store and found it right away. The only down side is it's $16 or so a bottle :( Anyone have any Idea how to clone this:confused: It does have a detailed grain list on the bottle.

The only problem I see is brewing with the bacon without giving it a greasy mouthfeel and too much bacon flavor so that it overpowers everything.

Also Rogue just came out with a new collaboration, Peanut Butter Bannana and Chocolate beer, will be interested in finding that.

mkam80 said:
Im up in Vancouver BC my sous chef brought in a bottle to sample last night after we finished a party. It's got great notes starts very mapley then smokey and at the end like bacon greese. Not for everyone but I like it:ban: It's suposed to be hard to find up here but after work we went to the liquior store and found it right away. The only down side is it's $16 or so a bottle :( Anyone have any Idea how to clone this:confused: It does have a detailed grain list on the bottle.

They sale bacon extract syrup. That might be the way to go.

cook bacon and drain on paper towels, then place in a container with vodka. this will give you a good tasting bacon extract that can just be added to your secondary.

cook bacon and drain on paper towels, then place in a container with vodka. this will give you a good tasting bacon extract that can just be added to your secondary.

Not a bad idea. I'd refrigerate it after it soaked a while then skim off the fat

I recently attempted small batches of a honey bacon ale. I used smoked beechwood and cherrywood malts, cooked the bacon in oven till it was crispy but not burnt and saved the fat. Used the bacon in the boil. Then added the fat to some vodka to make an extract. Left it a few days then stuck in freezer and skimmed off the fat. Put back in freezer and following day ran through coffee filter. This process removed most the fat. I still wanted it a little smokier so added some liquid smoke to the extract. After 2 weeks in primary I added the extract and let sit for 2 more weeks. Haven't bottled yet but tasted the other day and is pretty good! Has just enough bacon after taste! Good luck with yours

I found a place here at the Jersey Shore that carries it. I picked up a few bottle for the family to try over the holidays. I have had it, I like it super smoked bacon smell to it. Not something you could drink multiple bottles of but it was a decent beer.

Personally I enjoy the maple bacon, but not a fan of the peanut butter, chocolate, banana! I actually have 2 bottles of the peanut butter choc banana up for trade if anyone wants to try it. Also still have two bottles if the bacon, one of which I'd be willing to trade for someone who hasn't had the opportunity of trying. Anyone interested feel free to pm me :)

ed5388 said:
Personally I enjoy the maple bacon, but not a fan of the peanut butter, chocolate, banana! I actually have 2 bottles of the peanut butter choc banana up for trade if anyone wants to try it. Also still have two bottles if the bacon, one of which I'd be willing to trade for someone who hasn't had the opportunity of trying. Anyone interested feel free to pm me :)

Ed's solid, got my bottle of PB Choc Banana and some homebrews from him sitting in my fridge. Can't wait to kick this cold and drink them.

Latest posts

Back