Bottling Bucket Spigot Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbaker

Reaction score
I mainly do 1 gallon batches but thoroughly enjoyed using a bottling bucket when I did a 5gal batch a few weeks ago. I've got a small 2gal bucket that I'd love to install a spigot on to use as a smaller bottling bucket. The question is:

Why are all of the spigots so high on the bucket? It takes some crazy tipping skills to get all of the wort out and even then requires pouring the last bottle's worth out of the top. Can I stick the spigot down at the very bottom edge of the bucket? Or is there a purpose for having the spigot up ~2" from the bottom?

Mine is up about an inch but that is just because I would not be able to get the nut on the spigot threads if it was any further down. I've always installed the spigots that way and can't imagine a reason for doing otherwise. I still need to tip the bucket to get the last inch or so out.

There's a DIY on this forum with a solution to this. Basically, you take a 3/4" PVC connector and attach it to the inside threaded part of the spigot and point it down. It acts as a siphon and sucks out the liquid down to the bottom. If I find it ill post a link.

Ah nice find, I had actually just found someone using a stopper and a copper tube but this will look a little nicer. Thanks

Latest posts

Back