Million Dollar Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbump

Reaction score
I just brewed my second batch last night (liberty cream ale) and for the second time I had a boil over (luckily it was tiny compared to the 1st one!). Thanks to this forum I was well aware of the boil over possibility and invested in a turkey fryer to do my brewing outside.

My question is...how in the heck have those of you that brew indoors survived the wrath of your wife/gf when you have a boil over in the kitchen? My wife would have killed me on the spot if I would have had that happen in the house. Holy mess!

I brew when she is not home. :)

When I make a mess, I clean it up. The only boil over I had was outside. Now I watch it like a hawk.

She makes more of a mess than I do anyway. lol.

Adding fermcap-s to the kettle just before it starts to boil (at any point after the foam starts forming is good) at 2-3 drops per gallon in the boil (starting volume) works wonders. Risk of boil-over at that point is virtually nil. Even when you add your hops and such. :rockin:

I was brewing with my step dad and we had a pretty bad boil over in my mom's kitchen and my wife was there too. I haven't had one again. Best to stay on top of it like a hawk and avoid it all together.

Easy. After my first brew she told me no more and I've been brewing in the garage ever since. Oh, and watching it like a hawk as well.

Watch like a hawk with your hand on the throttle.. A spray bottle of clod water also can tame it down fast.

I brewed a lot in the kitchen and have nevr had a boil over, but many close calls.

Wow, lots of nervous Nelly's watching their kettle 'like a hawk'... :rolleyes:

I simply check mine until it actually hits a boil (after adding fermcap) and then start my timers. From then on, I might check to ensure it's still boiling at the rate I want (depends on the temperature where it's boiling and how much propane is in the tank). I've had over 9 gallons in a 10 gallon BoilerMaker kettle without issue. Hell, my brew buddy has had ~7.5 gallons in the 8 gallon kettle he uses. With fermcap added, you don't need to worry so much.

Wow, lots of nervous Nelly's watching their kettle 'like a hawk'... :rolleyes:

I simply check mine until it actually hits a boil (after adding fermcap) and then start my timers. From then on, I might check to ensure it's still boiling at the rate I want (depends on the temperature where it's boiling and how much propane is in the tank). I've had over 9 gallons in a 10 gallon BoilerMaker kettle without issue. Hell, my brew buddy has had ~7.5 gallons in the 8 gallon kettle he uses. With fermcap added, you don't need to worry so much.

I like the thrill. :) I use a 30 qt turkey fryer for full boils so it can be up there close to the lip of the pot. I will get a 40 qt eventually but sitting on the edge of my seat is far more enjoyable, for now.

I've moved to a keggle so that I can both brew larger beers and 10 gallon batches when I want. Plus, I was starting with around 9 gallons far too often to keep using the 10 gallon kettle.

I'd rather RDWHAHB while brewing than be "on the edge of my seat"...

I have a digital thermometer and set it to 210 deg. when the alrm goes off I watch till it start to roll then adjust the flame and let it go.

Who listens to their wife, anyway?

Never let a woman tell you what to do. She can suggest that you brew outdoors, but it's your call.

If I'm throwing down a quick extract batch, I use the stove. AG is outside, but that's just because I like to be alone sometimes.

Mine wants to boil over everytime it seems.. I boil 7-8 gal on average in a 62qt pot on my stove but I only hover for the first 10 min with my spray bottle in hand.. I'm also extra special to hover when I FWH alot not to lose any precious hops.. And if I want sum sumtin sumtin I always listen to the wife.. :mug:

Am I the only person who uses FermCap-S???

I haven't had a boil over or haven't had to use a blow off tube in 20+ batches.

Use FermCap . You dont need a large amount. People say use 1-2 drops per gallon. I have only brewed 3 batch's but I have only put 1 - 2 drops in 5 gallons. I put 1 drop in and see what happens. If still needed then add 1 more drop. I beleive it will help keep the krausen down in primary also but not sure.

my wife dont clean up after me so, i can mess all i want. plus i have 3 kids.. so if i dont feel like it.. i have them do it. when all 3 are doing the cleaning, it gets done fast :ban:

get a bigger pot. problem solved

This...never an issue, maybe a few spots on the stovetop from splashing but the cleanest the glasstop ever gets is before and after I brew. My wife just did a beefstew last night and its quite bad right now

The smell of me brewing in the house got her nauseous so that forced me to go outside. Now with a keggle and only doing 5 gallon batches I never have to worry about a boil over. Although once the wort reaches boiling temp in the beginning I have to turn down the burner before making any hop addition otherwise it foams up near the top of my keggle, scared the crap out of me the first time!

Fermcap-s. I've posted on here before about using it with a 4.5 gallon pot on my stove nearly full (to about an inch below the top of the pot) and cat napped or surfed hbt in the other room between hop additions. With a rolling boil.

Either get a bigger pot or go with the inexpensive approach and buy a squirt bottle, fill it with water, and spray the wort before it boils over. it works like a charm

Big pot. I have 2-3 gallons worth of head space during a full boil, with the IC in for the last 15, and full hop additions. I never watch my kettle. Too boring. (I think that was the correct 'too'. Tough call.) Kyle

I use a squirt bottle to keep the messes to a minimum. At the moment it's the missus and I crammed in a apartment while we search for a house with a suitable brewing garage. She's pretty tolerant of my hobbies so far, it might have to do with buying her a new Mini last year or she just may be a saint, I haven't figured out which.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back