Keezer longevity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pombe

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about building a keezer, holding two to three corny's at serving temperature, and maybe use for lagering in the future. What sort of longevity are users seeing from the compressor. A freezer is designed to freeze, and overriding the temperature with an external controller must have some impact on the operation of the cooling system ie: on (freeze), off (thaw), repeat.

Any feedback if this is even an issue worth worrying about?

You just don't want the compressor cycling every few minutes. That would wear it out pretty quickly. The controllers that I know of let you set min/max values for how long and how often it will kick on.

You should be able to dial it in so that your external temp controller turns it on/off at roughly the same interval as it would normally operate at a freezer. That way, it should not hurt the longevity at all.

What's a normal cycle time? I feel like mine is cycling every 30-45 mins which seems like a lot.

i don't think there is much you can do, other than maybe put a timer switch on, but load issues might prevent you from keeping the temp stable. How long has it been running?- are all your kegs chilled to temp?

Back