Adding acid post bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSpook

Reaction score
Ok folks, I really screwed the pooch on this one. I made a sparkling quick mead last year and put up in champagne bottles. I have opened 3 bottles so far at different points since then and it really needs an acid bite in order to balance it out.

Since these are carbonated (plastic cork and cage) I dont want to just open them up and close them again hoping for the best. I was wondering if there was a way to do this and not ruin the whole batch (I have about 17 bottles left). My first inclination is to slow freeze them, pop the cork, add the acid blend and a small pinch of sugar, re-cork and allow to thaw, then shake to dissolve the blend.

Any suggestions from experienced mead makers would be greatly appreciated

Well since no one had any input on this subject I have decided to give it a try. I put one bottle in the freezer last night. As of this morning it has frozen solid, no breakage and the bottle is still sealed. This afternoon I will add some acid blend and just a tiny pinch of sugar to replace lost CO2 when I pop the cork then commence thawing. The liquid expanded up to the cork, so I am not expecting too much oxygen, but I will blast with a shot of CO2 before re-corking just to be safe.

The part you have to worry about is when it thaws, all the carbonation will get released and will probably pop the cork. Try thawing as slowly as you can, try putting them in a cooler full of ice and let it sit for a few days.

I'm interested to hear how this works out. If you have this carbonated at Champagne level pressures, I don't think the yeast will be alive at this point. After 6-9 months, Champagne level pressure destroys the yeast viability in most cases. So I doubt any sugar added now will be fermented.

I'm a little surprised that a carbonated batch needs more acidity. Usually the carbonic acid from the CO2 makes it tart enough for me.

The part you have to worry about is when it thaws, all the carbonation will get released and will probably pop the cork. Try thawing as slowly as you can, try putting them in a cooler full of ice and let it sit for a few days.

They are caged as well, so i think the cork will be safe, but you are right, I think I will try to thaw slow, ice the fridge probably. I will end up drinking this quick and I will report back what I find.

Back