What is OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebat138

Reaction score
ok... I thought it was Original Gravity. But someone sent me a recipe for a clone that we are making and they said it was 15.7 OG... i thought he meant lbs... thanx all... sorry, thought I posted this, but can not find it... lol

Haha it does mean Original Gravity, but there are differnt scales to measure gravity so he might mean it in degree brix or plato. I will have to look for a conversion table.

Your friend may have mistyped. Perhaps he meant 1.057? If you put up the entire recipe s/he sent, one of us can probably figure it out.

The 15.7 would be the Brix scale, which is 1/4 the "thousandths" portion of the Specific Gravity. So, 15.7 Brix = 1.063 SG.

Duh, Original Gangsta!!

Really tho, its original gravity. It can be read in several scales. Sounds like the recipe you got is in Plato or brix. There's charts available to do the conversions.

Ok, it looks like from what I have read, a ROUGH estimate of conversion is that you can multiply you number by 4. So 15.7 degrees equals 1.063. I may be way off but it would help if you posted the actualy recipe!

On the bottle of the actual beer, it does say 15.7 OG. Here is the recipe

15.7 OG, pale,pils and caramunich malt
amarillo,cascade,chinook, centennial,crystal,

ctz hops- dry hop a little over 1oz/gal

the beer has a IBU of around 60.

I see no reason not to say what the beer is, since he tweeted it to someone

It's Evolution Lot #3... got straight from the brewmaster

On the bottle of the actual beer, it does say 15.7 OG. Here is the recipe

15.7 OG, pale,pils and caramunich malt
amarillo,cascade,chinook, centennial,crystal,

ctz hops- dry hop a little over 1oz/gal

the beer has a IBU of around 60.