You know the problem with quaffable beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I tell ya, there's a big problem with quaffable beer. You know, a beer that you can sit down and have a few, then maybe a few more (definition of a session beer). The kind your friends & SWMBO enjoy as well.

The problem is that it does not last very long. :(

I need to brew my Haus Ale more often or in bigger batches, cause it is going down quick and easy....:tank:

EdWort said:
I need to brew my Haus Ale more often or in bigger batches, cause it is going down quick and easy....:tank:

I hope mine came out as good as yours - I have a batch of your Haus Ale I need to transfer into a keg, it has been two weeks since brewday. How long do you age before tapping?

MA_Brewer said:
I hope mine came out as good as yours - I have a batch of your Haus Ale I need to transfer into a keg, it has been two weeks since brewday. How long do you age before tapping?

I'd age it at least 2 weeks if you have patience. It will take a week to carb anyway. That's why I'm working to have a stock of multiple kegs, carbed & waiting.

Let me know how yours turns out.

EdWort said:
I'd age it at least 2 weeks if you have patience. It will take a week to carb anyway. That's why I'm working to have a stock of multiple kegs, carbed & waiting.

Let me know how yours turns out.
2 Weeks shouldn't be a problem...do you rack to keg and put straight into the fridge, or leave out at cellar temp?

MA_Brewer said:
2 Weeks shouldn't be a problem...do you rack to keg and put straight into the fridge, or leave out at cellar temp?

I rack and put it on gas. I can have 3 kegs chillin & carbing in the garage at one time plus have room for crash cooling a bucket fermenter. The keg I have on tap now was brewed 2/16, so it's about 7 weeks old. My Kolsch I won't touch till at least 2 months from now, and it will be in cold storage too.

I have a fridge in the garage too for storing kegs. It will keep about 6 kegs chilled.

Bent Rod Rye is probably the lowest gravity Brew I make and it just doesn't last. Nice hops without the stupefying ABV most hoppy ales have.

EdWort said:
I tell ya, there's a big problem with quaffable beer. You know, a beer that you can sit down and have a few, then maybe a few more (definition of a session beer). The kind your friends & SWMBO enjoy as well.

The problem is that it does not last very long. :(

Man, are you right about that. I got the idea of having a "house" beer from you and now it's hard to keep up. I've got maybe 4 gallons left to drink, 10 in secondary (need to dry hop today) and 10 in primary that I have to transfer today. Man is this fun.......:fro:

I hear ya. I got the idea from UNOmar back on his post back in September of last year. He talked about having a "House" Pale Ale that was simple to make using bulk buys of grain & hops. I have all the ingredients on hand and since I use Nottingham, I can brew a batch of it whenever I feel like it without having to time a starter. My ingredient costs for a batch are less than $7.50 for a batch (and that's paying retail for the yeast and Crystal 10L).

Back