Hoping I dident ruin this beer with oxygen..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zJ0n

Reaction score
I had to use a bucket as a second fermentor, and its a 6.5 gallon bucket. I did that about 5 days ago. Im kinda new and started thinking about the possible oxygen in there because of all the head space.

It needs to sit in a fermentor for adleast another week. Is it a bad idea to siphon it back in the carboy? Or should I leave it in the bucket? I hope I dident ruin this batch..

It takes a lot to screw up a beer. The CO2 produced during fermentation helps push out the O2. As long as you don't keep opening the lid you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Typically it's best to let it set in primary (plastic bucket) for five to seven days and then go into a glass carboy to secondary for a couple weeks (depending on what you're making).

Your best off just leaving your beer alone. Take gravity readings every few days after the first two weeks to check to see if fermentation is done.

It takes a lot to screw up your beer.

It takes a lot to screw up a beer. The CO2 produced during fermentation helps push out the O2. As long as you don't keep opening the lid you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Typically it's best to let it set in primary (plastic bucket) for five to seven days and then go into a glass carboy to secondary for a couple weeks (depending on what you're making).

Your best off just leaving your beer alone. Take gravity readings every few days after the first two weeks to check to see if fermentation is done.

It takes a lot to screw up your beer.

Thanks, much appreciated. I really have to leave it in there because im waiting for my kegging system to come in

Back