Poll: bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
just wondering how many of yous have ever had bottles blow up on you. I bottles my first brew and I did everything by the books but have a worry that one will blow.

Never have here, even when I was wrongly instructed in my first batch to put a pound of corn sugar in 5 gal for priming. That being said, I wouldn't recommend this primarily due to safety concerns, and a close second that the beer had to be chilled way down to make it so it wouldn't spew straight out of the bottle when opened.

While the first thing out of most peoples fingers is to not overprime due to safety, there's also no reason to overprime in the first place, as you'll be ruining a presumably good beer.

Not yet, but real close. I had a serious gusher batch my third time around, didn't matter wheter I chilled them or not. Still spewed like crazy when I opened them up.

Not yet; although I do use a hydrometer religiously (although I try not to worry if something is a little off), so I will never bottle early and have to deal with that mess/danger.

I still worry a tiny-bit if a beer finishes around 1.015+, but that's only ever happened once so far (FG 1.016)... and it didn't bomb.

Only once, when I was a teengaer and made a naturaly carbonated batch of Root Beer. Since I've been brewing beer, the only time I over primed was when I made a batch and a half, and was out ot sugar. I emptied the sugar bowl into the pot of boiling water, 'about' a 1/4 cup. Then i emptied the canister, another 'about' a 1/4 cup into the pot, then I emptied the leftover of brown sugar, 'about' 1/4 cup. I guess all those 'abouts' were a little high...

Back