Baby Cabin Fever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Reaction score
Wife and I just had a little girl and I couldn't be happier, it's incredible how fast you can love something so new.

Here's my problem, I'm an Outdoors kinda guy, I have a few hobbies I like to do every now and then. I'm used to getting home everyday getting the dogs and going outside. Our little girl is only 3 weeks old tomorrow and she still needs alot of out time. My wife stays home all day and when I get home she basically hands her over until it time for her to feed. I'm having a really hard time sitting on the couch for the few hours I have during the evening. I know I'm being selfish and things have changed and I need to step up and take care of my girls and do what needs to be done.. But I'm having a hard time rigth now.. anyone have any suggestions? Good thing the beer fridge is only downstairs!

Have you tried taking her for a walk outside? Put her in one of those carrier things and step out! That will give your wife the added bonus of having some quiet home time - and maybe she'll even get a nap in!

Pro-tip: It only gets harder.

Take the kid out for a walk. 3 weeks is old enough to get bundled out for a walk as long as you don't go around other people (stores, malls, crowds, etc.). Good luck!

Thanks Guys I thought about the walks and I plan on it.. I have one of those carrier things that go over my shoulders. This is it's dark here by the time we get home so taking the baby out for a walk in the woods doesn't really go well with the wife.. We are planing on getting a little sleigh for her this winter so she can come when we go snow shoeing..

+1 on the sling carrier. They look super cool and allow a lot of freedom of movement.

Unfortunately, I also believe that raising a child requires giving up a certain amount of personal freedom. You may not be willing to go through the trouble of adjusting to doing some of these things with her along. I don't see any reason why you couldn't try anyway.

Just make sure she's warm and won't be dropped. She will probably be better off for it too.

Don't let a kid keep you inside. People always told us, just wait, once that kid comes your running around will stop. Well, it didn't we just took him with us. He went out to eat with us at 2 weeks old for lunch, and I think his immune system is stronger for it. He's had a fever once in his 16 month life, and was cutting a tooth during that time so I say he's yet to be sick. Knock on wood. Get out there and keep living. Granted it was easier for us because my son was born in Aug. :)

+1 on what Pulse said. Taking care of a baby is tough, but for the sake of your own sanity don't shut yourself in. It's more difficult in the winter with a baby.

Do you have any close friends or family close by that can babysit? Arrange for you and the Mrs. to get out once every two weeks (or more!), get some Mommy and Daddy time. Or solo time for both you and the Mrs.

Keep plugging away, the first 3 months are rough indeed. And congratulations!! :mug:

I have 2 little girls under 4. Get a good sling carrier and get out there. Babies love fresh air. Maybe 3 weeks is on the young side, but not if she's YOUR daughter, right?

When a baby is in a sling under a slightly large coat they are as warm as can be, cozy, next to your heart, and getting to know your smell, heartbeat, and breathing patterns. It's very good bonding time for the two of you and gives your wife valuable personal time. And helps you, of course.

When the colic hits - or whatever - and she's up all night, remember that one of the best ways to calm an upset baby is to go outside for a walk. Babies love fresh air.

But she's your daughter, too, so make sure you show her the things in life that mean a lot to you.

Did I mention that babies love fresh air?

I'm with you. I had a really tough time when my son was born, and it puts a huge strain on the marriage because you both have to redefine who you are. Taking them places is tough unless you're prepared with the diaper bag, and changing a 3 week old in the woods at night isn't going to leave you with clean hands.

Beg your wife for 1 hour on the weekends and hit the woods with no regrets.

And hang in there, it's brutal at first, but then it gets SOOOO good. My kid is 6 and he loves doing anything with me. It feels like this is how it will be forever, but it's not.

Agree with everyone else - get in the habit of taking the baby outside with you. Walking with the baby in a sling is a great way for dads to get some quality time with the kid and for you to get out of the house. Honestly, the amount you stay in the house generally depends on you, not the kid; babies love to sleep in a carrier close to their parents, so feel free to put her in it as much as you need. Our son basically lived in a carrier on my chest for the first three months of his life.

We took our dude to a party when he was one week old; now about every two weeks or so we take him to different friends' houses for dinner parties or whatever. He's gotten used to going down at a few people's houses (he's almost a year old), so it's rarely a problem anymore.

Well I'm doing ok guys.. I've had a few chances to go out and work on the wheeler, took the dogs for a walk last friday night and Still kept the wife happy. She has a few things planned this week/weekend so I'll have some me time.

Only thing I'm worried about is gaining weight now.. geeessshh.. I have a couple beer everynight since I'm inside and it's right there.. PLus I\m not nearly as active as I used to be.. hehe

My wife and I started a new thing this past weekend. We are doing a child-free morning every Saturday. Last week, I watched our daughter until 1:00pm and my wife did whatever the hell she wanted until then and I can't say anything about it. Next Saturday, I have the day until 1:00pm all to myself. I can get drunk, brew, go running, whatever.

I think this will be really nice, just to have a small amount of time for selfish need kind of stuff. You might try that.

Well I'm doing ok guys.. I've had a few chances to go out and work on the wheeler, took the dogs for a walk last friday night and Still kept the wife happy. She has a few things planned this week/weekend so I'll have some me time.

Only thing I'm worried about is gaining weight now.. geeessshh.. I have a couple beer everynight since I'm inside and it's right there.. PLus I\m not nearly as active as I used to be.. hehe

Good to hear that you're figuring it out. Seems like it's always an adjustment, especially as the kid starts growing and his/her sleep patterns change, as he/she gets into different activities, etc. It's really hard sometimes to remember to do the things that keep you sane (and I know that I've had to pare that list down a bunch), but you'll be a better parent if you do.

As far as the weight gain goes ... well, can't help you much there. I've managed to stay about 10-15 pounds above where I like to be (which is not bad for me), but I really miss being able to go to the gym or go running every day. Just trying to be careful about what I eat until the schedule will let me start working out again!

Good to hear. :mug:

That and the stress of taking care of a baby, sleep deprivation, etc. All play into it. But that's another thread. ;)

As far as the weight gain goes ... well, can't help you much there. I've managed to stay about 10-15 pounds above where I like to be (which is not bad for me), but I really miss being able to go to the gym or go running every day. Just trying to be careful about what I eat until the schedule will let me start working out again!

I actually have a make shift gym in the basement.. a silly stupid weight machine .. and then about 300lbs of free wights with 2" Olympic bars.. I'm slowing working this into my--OUR schedule.. I actually got out for 45min tonight to work on the 4wheeler...

Back