How to Batch Sparge with one pump & single tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewme

Reaction score
I am new to using three vessels for AG (I did BIAB). I have a single tier stand and one pump. How do I get the mash liquid to the brew kettle while I am pumping sparge water from my HLT?

After your mash is finished perform a vorlauf until the runnings are clear making sure not to disturb the grain bed, then transfer to the boil kettle. Then add your first sparge water, stir vigorously and vorlauf until runnings are again clear. Transfer 1st sparge to the boil kettle. Finally, add the remainder of your sparge water, again stirring vigorously, vorlauf until runnings are clear and once again drain. If you wanted to do the transfers simultaneously that would be called Fly Sparging and might be somewhat difficult with only one pump on a single tier.

Yah, this is easy with one pump...

Batch Sparge doesnt consist of HLT and MLT flowing at the same time.

MLT-->BK
then
HLT-->MLT
then
MLT-->BK
then
HLT-->MLT
then
MLT-->BK

One pump, batch sparge, no problem.

I would use the pump to transfer the sparge water to the mash tun while you gravity drain off into other vessels (Probably fermenters) And then, when sparging is done, pump from those containers into your BK. This is the method I have used for my lsat couple of brews as I a re-making everything. It works fine for me.

Why cant you just use one pump? Why gravity feed anything, it is a batch sparge right?

Yah, this is easy with one pump...

Batch Sparge doesnt consist of HLT and MLT flowing at the same time.

MLT-->BK
then
HLT-->MLT
then
MLT-->BK
then
HLT-->MLT
then
MLT-->BK

One pump, batch sparge, no problem.

So am I pumping from the MLT to the BK or collecting wort in a bucket of some sort, then dumping into the BK? I am just concerned the MLT draining would not keep up with the pump

You'll want to slow your flow down for MLT to BK pumping by putting a ball valve on the output of your pump. I run mine close to full speed at first but then slow it way down at the end.

So am I pumping from the MLT to the BK or collecting wort in a bucket of some sort, then dumping into the BK? I am just concerned the MLT draining would not keep up with the pump

Likey BobbyM said... you always place a valve on the output of the pump, this is used to throttle the flow... you can pump at a trickle, I mean I use mine to pump my fly sparge water!

Yes, pump WATER from the HLT to the MLT

THEN

Pump WORT from the MLT to the BK

it is simple, easy...

The hose with QDs method is very intuitive. It's visual in nature. If you know you want to go from here to there, you look to see if the hoses are connected. Having a valve matrix requires more thinking and I'm too scatterbrained for that.

How do you switch, do you move the hoses with quick disconnects, or use a three way valve?

I use QDs... I mean, I have (2) lines that are about 2.5' in length. That is simple. I am not into the complex matrix of pipes really, and operating a HERMS, I want to reduce the length of travel for the wort as much as possible, to keep it efficient, I dont like losing heat while pumping, so 20' of plumbing and valves seems silly to me.

Id personally do a couple silicone hoses and QDs. Very easy, easy to clean, repair, remove and efficient.

Back