Carbonation...which is to say, how much...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron von BeeGee

Beer Bully
Reaction score
I generally like decent carbonation in most of my brews, some more than others. I'll carb a Hefe up pretty well (which is too style), and on the rare occasion when I enjoy a lager I prefer a well carb'ed one. One thing I've found with many other ales is that I like to take a sample from the secondary where it has a slight natural carbonation and give it a try. If it tastes really fantastic as is I'll go with a very light carbonation (~2.5-3oz corn sugar for 5g). If it seems like it needs something more, particularly in hoppy ales in my experience, I'll go with more like 3.5-4oz corn sugar.

What's everybody else doing?

I lack what folks like to call "experience" in brewing, however, I used 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz.) of corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch for a pale ale that I made and it came out well carbonated, which probably means that it wasn't appropriate for the style. I used 3/4 cup (6 fl. oz) in my last doesn't-fit-into-any-style beer (think pale ale, but with a little wheat in the mash). I think it's fair to say that I like a fair amount of carbonation as well. I wonder how much you can put in before they start leaking/explode? Will bottles actually explode or will the crown cap leak first?

uh oh, 1/2 cup for 5 gallons was well carbonated? i just put 3/4 cup in my 5 gal batch I dont want them to blow! :-o

I usually use 2/3 cup corn sugar, which probably works out to about 4 - oz, in the pale ale that I make most often, and it comes out perfect. Nicely carbed. I used the same amount in a porter recently, and it seems like it is going to be too much, but I like it.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference between what I like, and What I am expected to like.

I use in the range of 2/3-3/4 cup corn sugar per 5 gallons.
Some recipies in Clone Brews call for 1 cup per 5 gallons.
I have never really used over 4/5 cup per 5G...although may try it for a lighter brew.

Cheers.

I always measure by weight just to be safe. I've used upwards of 7oz for Hefe before, so I know you won't get into bottle bombs in that range assuming that fermentation was completely over at bottling time.

You can carbonate this stuff?

I usually go with what promash tells me to according to the style when I bottle. Now that I keg, I just let it carbonate until it tastes really good and then stop, no matter what the style guidlines dictate what the proper carbonation level is supposed to be.

Chairman Cheyco said:
You can carbonate this stuff?

I usually go with what promash tells me to according to the style when I bottle. Now that I keg, I just let it carbonate until it tastes really good and then stop, no matter what the style guidlines dictate what the proper carbonation level is supposed to be.
Yeah, as to kegging I've been keeping mine in the 13-15psi range on my gauge (not sure how accurate it is). It seems to dispense best at that pressure for the amount of hose I have, and it's carbonated fine.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Yeah, as to kegging I've been keeping mine in the 13-15psi range on my gauge (not sure how accurate it is). It seems to dispense best at that pressure for the amount of hose I have, and it's carbonated fine.

Yeah, I started out at ~10-11 psi and keep upping it for the IPAs, now hanging out at around 13-14 psi and enjoying the results. This is all at 40F.

Back