Where are you going for vacation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finsfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is the place to post up pictures, give advice or recommendations, and just chat about places you have been or places others are going to. Does not need to be a beer related trip but those are probably the best! :rockin:

Ill start it off. I leave this sunday for Taos, NM! staying at shady brook as my gf's parents own a cabin there, this will be our third time there this year :D We plan to hit up all 3 breweries in Taos, as well as mountain bike, do some disc golfing, of course hike up mountains, hit up the hot springs in the royal gorge, maybe even take a day trip somewhere. Lets see where you guys are going or have gone to this year already

The second picture is on top of the mountain directly behind their cabin taken over spring break

Shady Brook Village (2)_full.jpg

1012868_10151739324475631_360545355_n.jpg

header--suites.jpg

condoone-6.jpg

That's from my trip a couple weeks ago but I'm going back and I'll be going to Munster Indiana to FFF brewery ;-)

That's from my trip a couple weeks ago but I'm going back and I'll be going to Munster Indiana to FFF brewery ;-)

well thats just unfair haha I havent even had one brew from them and you get to go try them all! that will be awesome tho! :rockin:

I'm going to Wisc for a week of sleeping under the stars so we can see The Perseid meteor shower at governors dodge with lots of cold New Glarus beer

Going to CO last week of August. 17 breweries in 7 days. Can't wait to stock up on crooked stave sours!!!!

Headed to New England end of August. Hitting 4-5 states with the family to check out potential settling places when the wife finishes school.

We plan on hitting anywhere from 5-10 breweries and brew pubs.

All pints was great. What did you think of it

I enjoyed it. A lot more room to move around and not as crowded as some of the brewfests in the Twin Cities. I shied away from most of the bigger breweries, as I can get their beer any time. Lots of good, small operations cranking out creative brews. Hammer Heart was my fave--can't wait for their taproom to open. A few good ones from around the Duluth area too--Canal Park has potential. Northern MN has a great beer culture.

Only gripe: It costs $10 for non-drinkers, and that's the case with many fests. Ten bucks for SWMBO to just get in and sit on a bench. They should make it more attractive to get designated drivers involved. At least offer some free non-alc. goodies for them.

For my CO trip here is the brewery list we are planning to visit:

Coors
Strange Brewing
Denver Beer Co.
Breckenridge
Great Divide
Wynkoop
Left Hand
Oskar Blues
Odell
Equinox
New Belgium
Funkwerks
Grimm Brothers
Loveland Ale Works
Avery
Boulder Beer Co
Crooked Stave

We go to the (OBX) outer banks, NC every year for a true "do nothing" vacation. I just did Disney in the winter and I felt like I needed a vacation when I came home.

My wife and I are going to the "left" coast of Florida (St. Petersburg) for a long weekend next week.

I'm stoked to go to Cigar City and my buddy has a few more beer destinations set up for us.

We don't usually go too far from home in the summer. Northern Wisconsin is great this time of year, as is the UP. We spent a lot of time at the lakes and rivers, canoeing/kayaking and fishing. Sometimes we do a "waterfall day" and hike to various waterfalls around.

But in the fall and winter we travel further to get out of the cold here!

My husband had a sabbatical in April, and him and I first spent 2 days in VT whilst visiting my family in CT. We hit up the Alchemist, Hill Farmstead and Warren General Store to get us some Lawson's Finest Liquids. We ended up with the Double Sunshine IPA. We ended up staying in Burlington to visit a good friend of mine.

Afterwards, I had to go back to work for a week and then we headed out to California where we landed in San Francisco. We spent 3 days there and the most touristy thing we did was Alcatraz. We hit up 21st Amendment, Zeitgeist, Magnolia Gastropub and brewery, Toronado and god knows how many other places.

I also went to my very first baseball game! As the Giants were out of town playing I don't remember, we went over to Oakland and watch the A's play the Houston Astros. That was a ton of fun. Also, being from small town CT, it was interesting.

After San Fran, we drove up Route 1 until we shot over to Petaluma for Lagunitas. From there, we had dinner at Russian River and stayed the night in Santa Rosa. Next day was just wine in Sonoma Valley. It was beautiful, but as my husband and I are mostly beer drinkers, we were sick of wine by the end of the day. Went back to Russian River and also stopped at Bear Republic.

Then we decided to go back to Route 1 and drove up the coast. From Sonoma Valley where it was 84 degrees to the Pacific Coast where it was.. I dunno... 50? I froze. But.... it was gorgeous! We stayed the night at Fort Bragg and had some dinner and pints at North Coast. Then, we hauled ourselves through the redwoods, drove through the Avenue of Giants. Eventually, we got sick of 101 and headed for I-5 and ended up in Eugene, OR. Did beer stuff there, did beer stuff in Corvallis.

From Eugene, we drove over the mountains to Bend. Hit every brewery there, and my personal favorite was the Ale Apothecary. What a great guy. Did some hiking. Drove up to Mt Hood and visited Logsdon Farmhouse, drove through the gorge and ended up in Portland. We stayed there for a couple of days. I'm just tickled by Portland, what a cool city but my pollen allergies nearly killed me. My favorite brewery there, by far, was Cascade.

By the end of vacation, I was actually sick of my vacation. Despite all the beer and food that we consumed, neither of us gained any weight due to the constant walking we did in the cities as well as the hiking.

My husband and I were married Oct 2011 and as we didn't go on a honeymoon due to us living in FL and the wedding was in CT, we considered this trip our delayed honeymoon. We met some fantastic people and had a phenomenal time. California and Oregon? You guys have the beer thing down.

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

For my CO trip here is the brewery list we are planning to visit:

Coors
Strange Brewing
Denver Beer Co.
Breckenridge
Great Divide
Wynkoop
Left Hand
Oskar Blues
Odell
Equinox
New Belgium
Funkwerks
Grimm Brothers
Loveland Ale Works
Avery
Boulder Beer Co
Crooked Stave

If you are hitting Strange, I'd make sure to hit Wits End and Prost. Both are close to Strange and IMO are better breweries.

Cheers.

We go to the (OBX) outer banks, NC every year for a true "do nothing" vacation. I just did Disney in the winter and I felt like I needed a vacation when I came home.

I love the OBX. Stayed in Nags Head a couple years ago that Lemongrass Wheat from OBX Brewing Station is quite excellent. I have yet to perfect a clone of it.

I love the OBX. Stayed in Nags Head a couple years ago that Lemongrass Wheat from OBX Brewing Station is quite excellent. I have yet to perfect a clone of it.

Thanks for the info! I'll check them out this year. I usually stay in Corolla, this last year and this year we have being going to Hatteras/Avon on the bay.

No vaca this year. With the new boys arrival in January, no time to take off, and tightening the belt a bit. A vaca isn't in the cards.

If you are hitting Strange, I'd make sure to hit Wits End and Prost. Both are close to Strange and IMO are better breweries.

Cheers.

Hmmm, Wits End def sounds interesting, I'd love to see a 1 bbl nano that is actually succeeding. Will have to work that into the schedule.

Thanks for the advice.

look at all this information being shared to make sure other HBT'ers see other great breweries :D glad to see this thread helping people find new venues to check out!

Sadly, my vacation for this year will probably be the four days I spent just an hour south of here in Philly.

. . . but it was NHC and it was glorious!

Even though she's smiling, I don't think my wife would agree. :eek:
Only a fraction of the kegs being brought in for Club Night!

NHC_2013-31.jpg

NHC_2013-30.jpg

Leaving on Saturday for a week of drinking and napping on the beach in NC.

Last year the day before I went on this trip the ceiling fell out of one of the bedrooms of my house. I wonder what is going to happen tomorrow?

Also, check out the Weeping Radish Farm Brewery. I like their Black Radish (no radish in it) black lager. Looks like they have been food network mentioned if that helps any. I know nothing about how the food is though.

San Diego (that's where my daughter and new son-in-law now live). I'm really bummed about having to go there and being obligated to report back to y'all on the SD craft brew scene! :D

Hmmm, Wits End def sounds interesting, I'd love to see a 1 bbl nano that is actually succeeding. Will have to work that into the schedule.

Thanks for the advice.

No problem. Scott Witsoe (Wits End) is a really cool guy. Homebrewer that made it happen. Turns out some really interesting beers. I understand they have become even more popular since I was last there. That 1 bbl can't keep up.

UP again. Secret location.

There was talk about a trip down south for some caving, but so far that hasn't panned out.

I just came back from the Keweenaw. Hit Keweenaw Brewing, Brickside Brewing, and then Titletown Brewing in Green Bay on the way home.

Man I love the UP.

Yooper said:
You must have forgotten to stop by here on the way home, then! I bet Homer won't make that mistake! :D

I didn't forget. Your location is as mysterious as your avatar. I would never turn down that chance. Are you near Houghton?

I didn't forget. Your location is as mysterious as your avatar. I would never turn down that chance. Are you near Houghton?

No, I'm on the border of WI/MI in the central part of the state. My cottage is on a lake via a small side road right of off US 2 between Iron River and Watersmeet, and my main home is in Iron River.

Sadly, my vacation for this year will probably be the four days I spent just an hour south of here in Philly.

. . . but it was NHC and it was glorious!

Even though she's smiling, I don't think my wife would agree. :eek:
Only a fraction of the kegs being brought in for Club Night!

That WAS fun, wasn't it?!? How did she like the Mutter? I didn't get to spend all that much time with you guys- you were so busy all the time!

Back