RIS yeast flubbed out (maybe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindnil

Reaction score
I made a massive RIS last month. Started at 1.098. I pitched a 2L stir plate starter of WY1335. The starter spent 3 days swirling.

I took a reading and its only down to 1.041, four weeks in. I plan on waiting another week and then take another reading. I know the yeast I used isn't the most alcohol tolerant. Its been at 63F for the duration of primary. My target is 1.024-1.028. Then bulk age six months. Then bottle.

My question is- if the next gravity reading I take shows no change, should I re-pitch with 05 or pacman, let it attenuate and then bulk age? I've also read that this will not work and that I need a cleaned yeast cake to move the beer onto because of the alcohol content (moving it 3 times seems like a risky move, oxygen wise)

I know I'm a little premature with the question, since I'm going to wait another week to make my decision but I'd like to hear from some folks before then in case I need a contingency plan.

Cheers!

4 weeks in I'd have to think most of the fermenting has been done. I'd wait to see what others say but what you're thinking sounds like a plan. 1.041 is just too high

Its a 60F calibrated hydrometer. Worked for 50 batches before hand. I use a refractometer for simple brews. Not for this bad boy.

just tossing in S05 or pacman likely won't work, but if you pitched either from a starter at high krausen you'd likely renew activity. racking onto another yeast cake like you mentioned should do the trick as well if you got one. have you tried just rousing up the cake by gently swirling and bringing to a warmer temp to see if re-starts itself? some of those english strains like to floc out a lil early

I will try to wake up the yeast. If that doesn't work I have a smash beer using S05 that I'll be kegging, so I can use that cake to finish up the RIS.

Latest posts

Back