rhizomes outta control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmaker62

Reaction score
We recieved rhizomes about 3 weeks ago and we started them in pots 2 weeks ago on the advice of not leaving them in the fridg. They are outta control and being here in northern NY I don't dare plant out side till at least the end of may. The biggest one is already 14 inches tall. How do I slow them down? Do I dare cut them back? Reminds me of " The little shop of horrors".

How big if a pot did you plant them in? What kind of soil? I just got some and I live in the mountains. I would love to get them started but was afraid to put them into to big of a pot right now. Please let me know what you did. I'd like to get mine started now

Don't cut them back. Get a stake in that pot and start training the up. You'll be ok and get a jump start on growing them.

I second TahoeRy. You'll be fine allowing them to grow. However if there is any chance of frost, there is a small chance that they may go into shock if you plant them outside without 'hardening them off' first. Keep that in mind. It doesn't mean you're doomed, just that it will take a small process to get them ready to be planted outside. Wouldn't want to see you lose those plants. Cheers!

Probably should have left them in the fridge, that's the common practice until it's ok to plant them outside. Never had this happen but I would think that by moving them to a cooler place would help slow them down. Also, I don't see how cutting them back would hurt as this is done in greenhouse operations. Since they're now able to produce food on their own (they have leaves and leaves=food production), cutting them back will most likely just slow them down enough to buy some time until you can get them outside. Keep us posted.

Cutting them back might get them to grow bigger and more vigorously. When you top these kind of plants they typically grow two shoots from where you cut. It might slow the growth a bit but its going to come back stronger and larger. I am not positive about this but I know thats how the hops cousin would respond to that.

You're right, cutting back an established plant has become the usual in commercial hop yards to minimize variability in harvest dates (this way they are cut and all start growing new shoots at once). But I would not cut a barely established rhizome back at all. I have had new rhizomes put up a shoot which was then effectively cut to the ground (my mother in law "weeded" the new shoots) and it never put up another shoot. Since the rhizome has been woken up and already started using its stored energy, you should do everything you can to let your plant continue making its own food and start establishing a better root system. My $0.02.

Hydro, I agree with you when you mention about the plant beginning to utilize it's stored energy but when it comes to plants that are super efficient in being able to produce more energy than they need to grow, hops are pretty close to the top of the heap. When I said to cut them back, what I was trying to get at was to pinch/top them and leave the leaves at the lower nodes to remain to help with energy production. They'll still be able to photosynthesize while the shoot is figuring out that it needs to kick the upper buds into action to replace the growing tip. This usually can buy you a couple weeks worth of time.

Planted mine two weeks ago as well. Two are over 20" long i just put a stake in there for support so they don't fold over. I have 10 pots on a table in front of my window. Here in South central PA about two more weeks until i can transplant out side.

Okay I get you. I misunderstood and thought you meant the entire shoot. Cutting the just the growing tip will definitely buy time. And I agree, this would be the best way to deal with bmaker62's concerns!

TahoeRy, I used miricle grow potting soil and the directions that came with the rhizomes said to use a 1 gallon pot. We purchased them from Northwest Hops. All 5 are growing well. I am VERY satisfied with my purchase.

Perfect. I was told by the grower who I purchased from (willamette valley hops) that you can plant up to three right next to each other. Is this what you guys are doing or should I keep them in separate pots?

I put each rhizome n its own pot. I wldnt put different rhizomes together. Plus when u go to transplant they may b intertwined. You run the risk of damaging the roots. Thats why I did one per.

I'm in the same boat up here in Boston. I planted my rhizomes in buckets when they came in but I also brought in the buckets from last year. The new ones are just now peeping up but the old ones are 2' tall. Oops. I might have to run twine over the certain rails... Anyone from MA care to comment on when it's best to put them outside?

do not cut back a rhizome.What you have sprouted is all you are going to get to establish your crown . On second and subsequent year plants we cut back or burn back the first growth.This allows proper timing of the plant and also gets rid of the sucker bines that produce less Cheers Glen

here in northern NY I don't dare plant out side till at least the end of may.

I would start hardening them off as soon as the ground is workable in your area. Then plant them out a few weeks after.

The "memorial day" planting guide is more for vegetables that are annual crops and do not take light frosts well. Hops are perennial, and can withstand a fair bit of cold weather.

All of mine sprouted this week, in WI. They were under a 2 ft snow drift last week. The night time temps are still in the low 20's right now. I might cover them with Styrofoam plant covers at night this next week, with daytime highs only in the 20's. But even that is not necessary.

Back