Just went back and tasted my first ever homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycr

Reaction score
The last ever bottle of my first homebrew, from over 5 months ago, has been sitting in my fridge for months. 20 batches later, I finally cracked it open tonight.

At the time, it tasted like amazing beer. Now, I can taste nothing but flaws. I've learned so much in the intervening time, and I'm glad to have this as a reference for how my perspective and bias have changed in the intervening months. I hope to look back in another 6 months and my current beer to taste as flawed as this, as testimony to how much I've improved.

So now for your part - what was your first batch of homebrew like? Did you save any, and if so, were they as bad as this stuff is? :)

I do not have any of my first batch left, those were all consumed very quickly... I do however have a few bottles of my 2nd batch left, which also happened to be my first all-grain batch (I made the jump from extract to AG very quickly). These bottles have been sitting for 4 years. It's been about a year since I cracked one. Definitely not a good beer to age lol, it's a Sam Adams Summer Ale clone. As I recall it's holding up ok.

Wow, 5 or 6 months in and you've already done 20 batches?! I wish I had that kind of time! I've been brewing for over a year and just brewed #6.

I do remember how bad my first batch was, came in at 1.099 OG and finished at 1.037... awful stuff. lol Second batch was great, partial extract/steep and amazed a lot of friends family with it. Since then I've been strictly all grain.

I can't discern any flaws outright, but I don't have a trained palette.

With my limited experience I discovered with my first batch that their was a definite improvement from week 1 in the bottle and week2, and tasted real good after week 3. My second batch (dark winter ale) is ready to sample this weekend, I expect that it might be a little weak b/c I only fermented for 2 weeks. I believe home brewers can learn a lot from their past brewing mistakes and it only gets better with time.

The strength of the beer does not depend on fermentation time. It depends on the concentration of fermentable sugars in the wort + yeast. Packaging too early will not affect alcohol content, only the chance of bottle bombs and maybe the cleanup of any fermentation driven off flavors that would have been cleaned up on the cake.

The strength of the beer does not depend on fermentation time. It depends on the concentration of fermentable sugars in the wort + yeast. Packaging too early will not affect alcohol content, only the chance of bottle bombs and maybe the cleanup of any fermentation driven off flavors that would have been cleaned up on the cake.

Weak can also mean taste. I can imagine a dark winter ale acquiring some mellow smoothness and maybe even more character with a week or two more time in primary.

The last ever bottle of my first homebrew, from over 5 months ago, has been sitting in my fridge for months. 20 batches later, I finally cracked it open tonight.

At the time, it tasted like amazing beer. Now, I can taste nothing but flaws. I've learned so much in the intervening time, and I'm glad to have this as a reference for how my perspective and bias have changed in the intervening months. I hope to look back in another 6 months and my current beer to taste as flawed as this, as testimony to how much I've improved.

So now for your part - what was your first batch of homebrew like? Did you save any, and if so, were they as bad as this stuff is? :)

first homebrew was over 5 months ago ( I assume less than 6) and you have brewed 20 batches since. :mug::rockin::drunk::pipe:
That is amazing.

My first batch was a long long time ago. I only remember it was a pale ale, pretty good, and I didn't save any before I started my second batch. Which was a stout that turned out was my worst batch ever. Now that one I remember clearly, and that was over 15 years ago.

Back