Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CidCitrus

Reaction score
You would not believe how hard it is to find a traditional Irish Red that is not Killian's, Sam Adams, or Smithwicks. Tons of hoppy American versions, which I like, but nothing for me to try for research. Any suggestions?

I live in the Cleveland Ohio area and Great Lakes Brewery makes Conways Irish Ale which is close to Killians. I actually prefer it over Killians...

I think Killians is Coors with red food coloring.

If near Pensacola, drop by the Irish bar there (O'something, I forget) - they brew a great "Irish Red" there.

Really, what's the difference between an Irish red and a Vienna red?

i know you want a commercial version, but here is my favorite homebrew irish red:

8 lbs Maris Otter (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.2 %
2 lbs Vienna (4.0 SRM) Grain 19.0 %
4.0 oz Crystal 120 (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
1.00 oz Fuggle [4.00%] (75 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 18.7 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.30%] (20 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.30%] (2 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
1 Pkgs S-04 Yeast-Ale

thanks for the recipe. that's similar to jamil's in brewing classic styles, which is what i just bought ingredients for. his recipe doesn't have any late hops. how is the hop character in yours? i have an extra .75 ounce of goldings and was debating on whether or not to throw them in for flavor/aroma.

Back