BeerSmith - step by step directions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
I've looked at a evaluation copy of BeerSmith, and the step-by-step directions don't seem that step-by-step, more of a general checklist...

Is that just in the eval version, or am I missing something? I'm still a noob, and this software looks great regardless, but I would like something that gives me a step-by-step so that it can become a routine, checking things off, learning as I go.

There is a LOT of information on the BeerSmith site, have you looked around there?

The first thing you need to do is setup equipment profiles to match your gear. Until that is done, many of the calculations won't be correct for your brewery. There are several profiles built-in, it's likely you can make minor adjustments to one of them to match your stuff.

Equipment Setup Tutorial

Yeah, I did the setup, but maybe I didn't do all of it, I bet that's why it was so general. I'll try that and post back if it doesn't help, thanks!

Once that is squared away, just select a recipe type, choose your ingredients, and pick a mash profile. Then click "Preview Brewsheet," and you'll get a detailed checklist, telling you all procedures and necessary water volumes. If everything looks right, go ahead and print it out.

A lot of people (like me!) are initially confused when BeerSmith tells them to use a quart of two of water for their first batch sparge. That's based on remaining space in the tun during the mash...to avoid this, make sure "Drain the mash tun before batch sparge" is selected in the mash profile details.

another noob question here about the calender. I just got the key, but since I had messed with so many things learning to use it, I removed the program after saving recipes and eq profile. reloaded it all, no problems. when on the eval copy in calender veiw I had brs showing me fermentation and aging. now no bars but in the lower pane it tells me I'm fermenting or aging the different batches. how do I get the bars on the calender?

How do I get the bars on the calender?

Honestly, I haven't messed much with the calendar feature, although it would seem to be helpful to somebody who brews quite frequently. I believe you just need to enter a brewdate on a recipe, and the various bars are sized according to the fermention/aging times you enter. I've set my copy to only display recipes that are in the brewlog.

BLL yes I'm trying to keep 2-3 brews going at different stages all the time. with the bars a quick glance will tell me what needs tending instead of opening up each day to see where the brew is at. If I remember correctly my memory is starting to go:D
W04 I tried every combination of options available. it shows nothing in the calender pane, but if a particular day is highlighted it gives a few details in the pane below.

Back