Need Help with Boil Kettle and Draining please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchar19

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help improving my boil kettle/chilling and draining methods. I had initially planned on boiling using a false bottom in a Blichmann Boiler Maker using whole hops to filter the wort on it's way to a plate chiller to the fermenter.The only problem with that is apparently using a Blichmann false bottom during the boil can cause worth scorching. So my next plan is to not use the false bottom at all and simply use hop bags for my hops and send the wort through the dip tube into the hop rocket, then into a plate chiller and then into my fermenter. Will this work and are hop bags even necessary for whole leaf hops? Thanks a lot and I hope this question makes sense.

Rather than using hop bags, why not make a hop spider. I use on on the keggle and it works great.

Rather than using hop bags, why not make a hop spider. I use on on the keggle and it works great.

I just started reading about these a few days ago and I am for sure making one for my setup. Looks like they work great especially for plate chillers and all around cleaner beer.

If you are going to use gravity to drain, just a simple SS scrubie should do the trick. I use one shoved over my dip tube and I cut a small hunk of one off and placed that inside the dip tube. Nothing gets through. I've used as much as 18 ounces of whole hops in a 15 gallon boil with no clogs and no hops leaving the BK. No need to go fancy when simple does the trick.

Latest posts

Back