French Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louie0202

Reaction score
It's about 70 or 80 degrees in Illinois so I decided to make my Belgian/French Saison tonight.

8 lbs 12.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 87.5 %
4.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2 2.5 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 3 10.0 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 6.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 5 12.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 9.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 1.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 ml] Yeast 8 -

Should be an interesting beer! What are you making tonight?

louie0202 said:
It's about 70 or 80 degrees in Illinois so I decided to make my Belgian/French Saison tonight.

8 lbs 12.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 87.5 %
4.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2 2.5 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 3 10.0 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 6.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 5 12.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 9.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 1.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 ml] Yeast 8 -

Should be an interesting beer! What are you making tonight?

Bags under my eyes! Working night shift at the plant.

sounds like a good recipe, I use strissel spalt hops in the later hopping schedule. I think it works better with the 3711 yeast than anything else I've tried.

Recipe looks really good. I used candi syrup on my last saison with 3711 and I wasn't prepared for its awesomeness, it took my saison down to 1.002 so it ended up a little higher abv then I was shooting for. I think for myself I'll probably leave out the simple sugars in the future since that yeast is a beast!

I have a "lite" version on tap now (OG 1054 - FG 1002 = 6.8% abv) love this beer on draft! this is using 1lb of light candy sugar as well. I like to keep it in the grain bill even on my lite versions.

This is actually the Lefse Blonde All-Grain Kit from northern brewer, I just added some hops to the 15 minute mark, might have to try some strissel spalt hops next time.

I also have the Belgian Saison yeast for the same exact recipe...hopefully will make that sunday and then I can taste the beers against each other. Just need to finish the ferminator so I can ferment at 85 degrees for the belgian yeast.

sounds like a good recipe, I use strissel spalt hops in the later hopping schedule. I think it works better with the 3711 yeast than anything else I've tried.

+1. I use Strisselspalt hops also for my Saisons. In fact I am brewing one Friday. Just picked up the ingredients today. Have to build up the Saison supply for the summer.

This is actually the Lefse Blonde All-Grain Kit from northern brewer, I just added some hops to the 15 minute mark, might have to try some strissel spalt hops next time.

I also have the Belgian Saison yeast for the same exact recipe...hopefully will make that sunday and then I can taste the beers against each other. Just need to finish the ferminator so I can ferment at 85 degrees for the belgian yeast.

I was curious about the Lefse Blonde kit... have you brewed it as shipped? How did it come out?

starrfish it ferments crazy style...only beer I have ever needed blowoff tubes for. I like it as packaged from NB and sometimes I rack over strawberrys....I have always utilized the Wyeast Liquid yeast that they recommend for it.

I would consider that my typical daily beer.....and then I typically have a darker or more speciality beer on the 2nd tap...of course that just proves my signature is out of date...always forget to update it.

I was curious about the Lefse Blonde kit... have you brewed it as shipped? How did it come out?

Excellent. Out of curiosity, I entered it into a comp as a Belgian Blond and scored a 39. I ferment a 1762 smack pack at around 70*.

Pils grainy sweetness with a hint of esters and phenolics from the yeasties. Very good session beer.

Back on topic... I can't wait to brew a Saison with some Strisselspalt and WLP670.

Back