Squirrels and Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ital

Reaction score
I'm about to put 7 rhizomes in the ground and it just occurred to me that I have a healthy squirrel population in my back yard... Does anyone know if squirrels have an affinity for hops? The bitterness may be a deterrent when they are mature, but they may be pretty tasty as young sprouts.

Wondering if I need to devise a chicken wire fence to protect them. They can have my tomatoes, but they better not touch my cascades.

I had mostly cascades last year and I haven't had any problem with squirrels. or any animals really. The only issue i've had was japanese beetles.

We're pretty much overrun by squirrels and chipmunks here, but other than a proclivity to hop the fencing to bury acorns in the mulch, they've never shown any interest in the bines...

Cheers!

Only thing i had issues with was skunks. Skunks tend to eat alot of insects and the soil was nice and soft and movable where i planted my rhizomes. Each morning i would find them about 3 ft strewn out of their holes with the dirt all over the place. Then i bought some chicken wire and placed it around the planting area and had no problems since.

I didn't have trouble with them eating the brins, but they loved the roots and killed off about half my hops. All varites, no preference.

I didn't have trouble with them eating the brins, but they loved the roots and killed off about half my hops. All varites, no preference.

Urinate on the soil with some regularity. And, empty your electric shaver clippings too. That will take care of them in a jiffy.

I have a ton of squirrels in my area, and the only problem I have ever had is with them burying the peanuts they steal from my neighbors yard (she actually feeds them so I guess its not theft) in my mulch. Then my Corgi goes out and digs them up and eats them LOL.....

Sounds like skwerl stew to me. Nothing a Ruger 10/22 with a 50 round mag wont help with. Plinking at the tree rats is a sport also, so enjoy a sport while yo defend your hobby. Sounds like fun to me, but I am a southern red neck so it would. "Hold my beer while a pop that tree rat, Vern"..... Hee hee, sorry couldn't help myself.

Wheel chaired and Heavilly medicated Bob

I was hoping it wasnt going to be a problem, but it looks like some of my rhizomes were dug up and then dries out and died. I have lots of squirrels in my backyard so I assume it was them.

Not to bring up an old thread, but squirrels recently got to 4 of my hop plants that were growing really well. Dug out the roots as well so there's no chance of the hops at least recovering :mad:. I may try the hair clippings trick but with dog hair.

I had some squirrels digging up some of my rhizomes and read somewhere to put Blood Meal on the soil all around the plants. I did it and no more digging. The Blood Meal is also good to add nitrogen and the squirrels don't like the smell of dried blood.

Back