combo mash lauter tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libs

Reaction score
I know that this is a pretty basic stuff, but I am trying to get equiptment together for gaoing AG. I am planning on going with the round beverage cooler type set up for masg and lauter, but I don't understandwhy the mash tun and lauter tun are two different vessels. Why can't I mash in to a cooler with a false bottom and steep the grains, then draw off of that and sparge all in the same cooler?

honestly, I don't see why someone would want a separate mash and lauter tun. you'd have to move the entire contents of the mash tun to the lauter tun in order to sparge...right?

malkore said:
honestly, I don't see why someone would want a separate mash and lauter tun. you'd have to move the entire contents of the mash tun to the lauter tun in order to sparge...right?

I think only larger breweries have separate MT and LT, well, I am sure some homebrewers do too.

The reason you would separate them is so that you can start mashing while the first batch is sparging. There is no reason to do this if you are making standard 5gallon batches. But say you wanted to increase to 10 gallon, you could either build a bigger MLT or mash twice, combine and boil together.

I think the purpose of a dedicated mash tun is to be able to apply heat to raise the temp. The mash would need to be stirred during heating and a false bottom or manifold would interfere with this.

I'd wager that 90% of homebrewers who direct fire their mash have a combo mash/lauter. You don't really "stir" below the false bottom, you just recirculate the mash liquid with a pump. I don't know anyone that mashes in a cooler then dumps it into a dedicated lauter tun either.

Instead of the round picnic cooler, you might want to try something larger like the Igloo Ice Cube 50-68 qt coolers. Will allow you to do bigger beers or 10 gallon batches in the future.

SwillBilly said:
Instead of the round picnic cooler, you might want to try something larger like the Igloo Ice Cube 50-68 qt coolers. Will allow you to do bigger beers or 10 gallon batches in the future.

This is good advice. My MLT is a 7-gallon cooler. Its more than big enough for standard 5 gallon batches, but not quite big enough for the bigger beers I'd like to do (like a dopplebock or Imperial IPA for SWMBO).

thanks for the info. that does make sense.

I kinda wish I'd gotten a 10gal cooler. but I was just gonna PM first...and after one PM batch I was sold on the whole 'grain' thing.

for now I'll stick to lighter beers and thicker mashes as needed til I upgrade my MLT.

SwillBilly said:
I agree with this also. I built mine out of an 82 qt cooler. It works great and I have enough room to do some big 10 gallon brews. Now I just need a larger pot. I use a 7 gallon for the HLT and a 15 gallon for the boil. Works fine for a 1.060 or less 10 gallon but if I want a higher OG then that I have to do a 5 gallon brew. Or do two boils.

Go big, you can never have to much.

Bobby_M said:
I don't know anyone that mashes in a cooler then dumps it into a dedicated lauter tun either.
I used to. I used a plain cooler to mash in, then dumped it into a bucket-in-a-bucket lauter tun (a la Papazian). The guy who taught me how to brew did, too.

That said, the combo MLT is definately the way to go!

Bobby_M said:
I don't know anyone that mashes in a cooler then dumps it into a dedicated lauter tun either.

I do just that.

I got a good deal on a ten gallon cooler, and my zapap lauter tun wont comfortably hold an AG grain bill, plus the cooler holds temp better. Eventually the cooler will be a MLT, and I will have a dedicated probably direct fired HLT.

Back