Cherry Wood Chips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayblefty

Reaction score
My Dad cut down a Huge cherry tree last year. I have used the wood to smoke pork and beef. I am wondering if I could put a light toast on some chunks of cherry wood and throw it in the secondary with a red wine I have going now. I searched the forums and the web and all I can find is info on oak. Thanks for any info!!!

I have a similar question, but apple wood (or maple or birch) with beer. I'd be very interested in an answer to the OP's question.

It's said that for grape winemaking, cherry barrels supposedly impart an undesirable aroma. Undesirable to whom I don't know.
However, some Italian wines do age at least partially in cherrywood barrels - Valpolicella I think. So ... undesirable to the French? ... or, ah yes, to a connoisseure? (I digress)
Cherry barrels are also used in making things like balsamic vinegar and some distilled spirits like Grappa (brandy made from grape pomace).

I spose the one way to find out would be to age and then toast some cherrywood and try a test batch. I'd be interested to see what it does with apple wine.

One other consideration is that oak is more effective at changing the wine ... another wood such as cherry would require more chips and more contact. Some who have tried aging with cherrywood say they couldn't perceive any effect.

Awesome Feedback! Thanks! I will probably load up a gallon of red wine with some chips and see how it turns out! I will be sure to post my results.

If the tree was just chopped down last year like you said, I'd make it a very small test batch and then taste it as it goes along.

Some winemakers do use no-toast barrels but they say they have to be careful in their barrel selection to avoid "green characteristics" (whatever that is). These barrels are still aged/seasoned wood, just not toasted.

Usually aging/air drying the wood for "oaking" takes somewheres between 2 and 5 years.

I would also should use a method of killing spores and fungus. Say, in the oven heated thru to a temp of 170*. Some people steam, some boil, some roast in the oven.
When I use store bought oaking chips, cubes etc I just soak it in k-meta solution before adding it. New wood like yours should be heat treated in some way.

And people use different methods for the "toasting" part. If you search around online you can read how others do it. Propane torch, oven ...

This year's batch of Deschutes The Abyss Imperial Stout is aged with cherry bark, and it's delicious!

Cherry bark in stout sounds like a good combination.

Thinkin about it ... willow bark is what aspirin is made from, and has been used for thousands of years to reduce pain and fever.
Would willow bark make a beer that prevents its own hangover?

Drink five pints and call me in the morning. Beer that's covered by insurance?

Pain relief beer.
Oh ... wait, it already does that.

< just joking about this of course >

Back