Facepunch IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YouHadMeAtASL

Reaction score
Yesterday went to the LHBS to get ingredients for an IPA (Ninkasi Total Domination Clone, which I found off this site.) I realized at checkout that the recipe was for an 11 gallon batch instead of the 5 gallon I was planning on. I had 14 pounds of LME, 3.3 pounds of Munich Malt Extract, 3 pounds of Carahell and about 10 oz. of hops!

Right in line, I decided to just halve all ingredients for the brew. 7lbs of LME, 1.5lbs of Munich Malt Extract, and 1.7lbs of Carahell.

Here's where it happened. I seriously just forgot to cut the hops in half. Here is the recipe I ended up brewing.

7lbs LME
1.5 lb Munich Malt Extract
1.5 lb Carahell (steeped ~160deg. for 30 min.)
WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale
(And now the hop insanity)
1.5oz Summit 17% (60 min)
1 oz Amarillo 10.6% (30 min)
1 oz Crystal 5.6% (30 min)
1 oz Amarillo 10.6% (15 min)
1 oz Crystal 5.6% (15 min)
1 oz Centennial 10% (15 min)
1 oz Amarillo 10.6% (0 min)
1 oz Centennial 10% (0 min)

I used looseleaf hops. So when I poured the cooled wort into the carboy, it was insanely hard to get enough of it due to a lot of the liquid being drawn into the hops. I squeezed as much as I could out of them and came out with ~2.5 gallons of wort. Filled water up to 5 gallons.

Original gravity was 1.060.

5382603684_54b2edd437_b.jpg

5382602016_6f4f9b2d96_b.jpg

5382033879_48ab6f7cfb_b.jpg

5382000923_2a238df764_b.jpg

Very nice, how did it smell?
Is that a 5 gallon carboy? It looks taller than my fives.

Yeah that is a 6 gallon carboy.

Hopefully I'll move up to all grain in a year or so. This was my second batch.

Looks good!

But I really hope you haven't been keeping it in direct sunlight!! If that large of an amount of hops skunks your beer's only flavor profile is going be..... skunk

It appears you lost a lot of volume. I primary in 6.5 gallons and mine appears closer to the top. You appear to have about 4 - 4.5 gallons max.

It appears you lost a lot of volume. I primary in 6.5 gallons and mine appears closer to the top. You appear to have about 4 - 4.5 gallons max.

I measured out 5 gallons and put a sticky on there with a line before I brewed. I didn't fill it all the way up to the line because I feared I had already added too much water into the little amount of wort I had. If I measured the 5 gallons correctly, then I would say I have around 4.7-4.8 gallons.

Looks good!

But I really hope you haven't been keeping it in direct sunlight!! If that large of an amount of hops skunks your beer's only flavor profile is going be..... skunk

Ack. Another newbie mistake. I put it in my closet, but it was in that spot for half of the day. Hopefully didn't skunk it anymore than it already may be. I will taste it when I take the first gravity reading.

I took a piece of standard masking tape and put 1 gallon lines on it with a sharpie. I thought it would last for maybe or two sessions, but that was about 6 months ago and it's still there.

Now I'm worried I skunked this beer already. It was kind of a cloudy day here in Portland, but there was definitely indirect light on it. The pictures look so bright mostly because I set it to high exposure.

Meh you may be fine. Probably should just RDWHAHBUYDHAAIWCSBB (Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew Unless You Don't Have Any Available In Which Case Store Bought Brew) :D

Bottled up the Facepunch IPA back on Wednesday. It was actually only about 4.5 gallons. I got 41 1/2(Runt!) beers and a 22oz out of it. There were a few issues with bottling, but in the end the beer ended up in the bottles.

It tasted like someone punched me in the face by the way! Repeated hop punches.

Looking forward to having it all carbed up.

SG: 1.062
FG: 1.020

rl8eH.jpg

Popped one open tonight after 2 weeks sitting in bottles. Very nice head already (although you can't see it so well in this pic). Pretty hoppy on the front and ends with a little twang. Still is a bit green. Color is nice though.

9MrRXl.jpg

Great looking stuff! I'm sure it's going to be absolutely amazing in a couple weeks.

Ahhh...those upside down bottles look like dominos just waiting to tumble. Are they actually racked on something, or just sitting on the lip? Looks like a great brew!! I wouldn't think that minimal amount of time in the indirect sun would really skunk it too much. Great color, and look forward to hearing how the flavor/aroma develop in the next few weeks. Congrats!

Ahhh...those upside down bottles look like dominos just waiting to tumble. Are they actually racked on something, or just sitting on the lip? Looks like a great brew!! I wouldn't think that minimal amount of time in the indirect sun would really skunk it too much. Great color, and look forward to hearing how the flavor/aroma develop in the next few weeks. Congrats!

They are dominoed and ready for tumbling :ban:

Thanks for your comments. I'm pretty excited to see how this one turns out as well. Going to wait another week to pop open another.

I'm curious as to how this turned out after bottle conditioning for a while.

It turned out absolutely amazing. Definitely the best batch of beer I've ever made. Has a hop kick upfront and a tangy, lingering hop aftertaste, but it also has a nice malt backbone that holds up against the hop attack.

I'd recommend trying out the recipe if you're into big, hoppy brewskies.

So, the Centennial at 0min were the dry hops? How has the Facepunch aged? What was the FG and alcohol percent?

That looks like a beer I want to make! I am a hophound - The Bitter the Better!

Back