Wort Chiller Water Flow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iBrewBeer

Reaction score
I read in John Palmer's "How to Brew" book that when building an immersion wort chiller the cold water "in" should connect to the top coil, and the hot water "out" should flow out from the bottom coil. Why is that?

I never was too good at thermodynamic theory....

I'm going to guess that the hotter wort from the bottom will rise up and mix with the cooler wort to provide some sort of mixing action. That's my two cents, but if you have a pump and whirlpool I think it wouldn't matter how they were connected.

i assume this is a counterflow chiller. i'm not so sure it matters which direction the water/wort flow, whether it be water up or water down, so long as they flow in a direction counter to each other. my cold connects to the bottom right now so that the wort drains at the bottom. This way when i'm done cooling i can just let that wort remaining in the chiller drain out, saving a few ounces. I know it's not much, but enough for a gravity reading or another half beer :)

You have your coldest water meeting your hottest wort, theoretically providing more efficient heat transfer.

OK, what about rate of flow, turn it on full blast, or just enough to have a good full flow or what?

Sorry for thread jacking, but I thought this was the topic when I came in.

Just chilled down 2.5 gallons of wort ina sink with 2 ten lb. bags of ice and a little water.

Darn if it didn't work better than the copper chiller------- doh!!!!!

Just chilled down 2.5 gallons of wort ina sink with 2 ten lb. bags of ice and a little water.

Now try the ice bath method with 12 gallons of wort.

And you can cool down a spoon full of hot soup with a few puffs of air from your lips.;)

Back