My Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimm

Reaction score
IMG_1556-480x360.jpg

IPlineyA IIPA

This is my first recipe. So please be kind. I was going for a rough pliney clone. Basically a very Hoppy IPA.

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 3.25 US gals Wort Volume After Boil: 2.75 US gals
Volume Transferred: 3.25 US gals Water Added To Fermenter: 2.03 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 5.28 US gals Volume Of Finished Beer: 5.02 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.016 SG Expected OG: 1.092 SG
Actual Pre-Boil: 1.002 SG Actual OG: 1.070
Expected FG: 1.022 SG Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Expected ABV: 9.4 % Expected ABW: 7.3 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 284.0 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 17.5 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 3.10 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF
Wort Cooling: 25 Minutes to 86 Degrees

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
US Caramel 20L Malt 1.50 lb 13.6 % 6.7 In Mash/Steeped
US Special Roast Malt 0.50 lb 4.5 % 5.6 In Mash/Steeped
Extract - Amber Liquid Malt Extract 6.00 lb 54.5 % 22.0 Start Of Boil
Extract - Light Dried Malt Extract 3.00 lb 27.3 % 2.0 Start Of Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Chinook 11.4 % 2.00 oz 52.4 Loose Pellet Hops First Wort Hopped
US Magnum 13.0 % 2.00 oz 59.7 Loose Pellet Hops 90 Min From End
US Chinook 11.4 % 2.00 oz 52.4 Loose Pellet Hops 90 Min From End
US Simcoe 12.2 % 2.00 oz 48.1 Loose Pellet Hops 45 Min From End
US Magnum 13.0 % 2.00 oz 42.9 Loose Pellet Hops 30 Min From End
US Amarillo 8.6 % 2.00 oz 28.4 Loose Pellet Hops 30 Min From End
US Amarillo 8.6 % 2.00 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops At turn off
US Simcoe 12.2 % 2.00 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops At turn off

Yeast
Danstar Nottingham

This is already brewed so what do you all think I should be expecting? It smells delicious!

I just update this anyway even though no one has any comments. I think some are put off by my aggressive hop schedule. I really don't see a problem with it, being that the tongue can only register up to 100IBUs for bitterness they seem to forget that the hops add more than just bitterness. there is lots of flavor and aroma that are still gained by going over 100IBUs. almost every pliney clone recipe I found was over 200 IBUs. which is what i was trying to come close to. In anycase.

Fermentation is going great, yesterday morning there was a decent amount of krausen
IMG_1556-480x360.jpg
and the airlock seemed happily bubbling away.
I get home from work and fermentation seemed to have stepped up it's game. It was bubbling out over the airlock. I swapped out the airlock for a blow-off tube and that has been bubbling like some one blowing thru a straw in water.
IMG_1568-360x480.jpg

The aroma coming out of the blow-off is heavenly. floral, citrus with just a touch of pine. MMM!!! i could bathe in that scent! This morning the krausen seemed to have lowered a bit but the bubbles escaping out of the blow-off tube were just as fast and constant as last night. I'm thinking about a secondary in about 4 days maybe? Oh and the beer seems to be steady at about 74degrees. It's maintaining it's own temp. the ambient for the room is no higher than 68. is that ok?

I'm very excited to taste this brew. this being my first home recipe and also the most aggressive fermentation I have good feelings about this batch.

Awesome job. Looks great to me. Only thing I would have done differently would be a larger primary fermenter. 5 gallon carboy is a tad small for primary especially for this size of a beer. Good luck and I am sure it will be a great beer!

Back