Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off thanks for posting a public link on FB. Most people post links that don't work unless you have a FB account.........Second, that looks amazing! I love the paint job! Makes it looks like an old 50 something car. Very nice!

Yeah, that's a pretty cool feature of FB. Thanks for the compliments. I was definitely going for a hot rod sort of look!

Work012.jpg

This is going to be a Christmas present for a friend. Someone had apparently tried to convert this older european mini-fridge into a kegerator many years ago, and failed. I picked it up for $25 at a yard sale. It was in rough shape, and missing some parts, but all it needs now is a CO2 tank w/ regulator, and a drip tray. I made the chalkboard tap handle out of some scraps of mesquite and a piece of slate tile. I hope he likes it!
Before-
IMG_2742.jpg

During-
IMG_2744.jpg

After-
009-1.jpg

Tap Handle-
006-2.jpg

What an incredible transformation. Nicely done!

Was this one of the kind where the shelf in the fridge is the cooling element? & if so, how'd you get room for the keg?

My wife just told me that she wants a new fridge for the kitchen... which means our "old" (maybe 5-6 years) freezer-on-the-bottom will be heading to the garage next month! It's a good-sized fridge, quick measurement says I can get five, maybe six cornies, or 3-4 cornies and a carboy.

Anyway, I hope to be contributing to this thread in January (I actually read through all 140+ today, occasionally stopping to wipe the drool from my chin). What do you full-refrigerator guys use the freezer space for? Hops are obvious but don't take up that much room. Cheap gin and vodka? Do you just fill them with jugs of water to keep it stable in there?

My wife just told me that she wants a new fridge for the kitchen... which means our "old" (maybe 5-6 years) freezer-on-the-bottom will be heading to the garage next month! It's a good-sized fridge, quick measurement says I can get five, maybe six cornies, or 3-4 cornies and a carboy.

Anyway, I hope to be contributing to this thread in January (I actually read through all 140+ today, occasionally stopping to wipe the drool from my chin). What do you full-refrigerator guys use the freezer space for? Hops are obvious but don't take up that much room. Cheap gin and vodka? Do you just fill them with jugs of water to keep it stable in there?

Mine's an oldie (posted a few pages back), so it's not frost free. I keep hops, but I can also keep my yeast bank in there. Sometimes even a few frosty mugs for those friends that go for that sort of thing!

I just converted my Sanyo 4910 into a kegerator today, with a DIY draft tower made of 3" PVC. I painted it black with Krylon Fusion paint. Unfortunately. I scratched the paint a bit when installing the shanks. I'm not thrilled with the aesthetics of it now, and will repaint it at some point (though not sure how to avoid scratching the paint again).
I have to add a drip tray, and will probably add some rails

I had difficulty tightening the shanks, and one of the faucets is at a slight angle because of the looseness in the shank. Is there some secret to this?
sw6d8l.jpg

This is so much better than the picnic taps I had been using!!!

Just when I thought I was sold on going the chest freezer route, I see some of these very nice vintage fridges.

Just a few more terms to add to my Craigslist feed. :)

Just when I thought I was sold on going the chest freezer route, I see some of these very nice vintage fridges.

Just a few more terms to add to my Craigslist feed. :)

If you do want to go the vintage route, just be patient. I had to wait a long time to find the right fridge at the right price (FREE!). Although if I was going to do it again, I'd opt for the single door with the interior freezer. It would make for nicer tap placement. Good luck in your hunt!

If you do want to go the vintage route, just be patient. I had to wait a long time to find the right fridge at the right price (FREE!). Although if I was going to do it again, I'd opt for the single door with the interior freezer. It would make for nicer tap placement. Good luck in your hunt!

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I've yet to brew my first batch, though I've now got most of the equipment to do so. And I've gotten a couple corny kegs and might have a lead on a used CO2 setup, so I've got some time.

Did you scour Craigslist constantly, or did you just kind of happen across one?

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I've yet to brew my first batch, though I've now got most of the equipment to do so. And I've gotten a couple corny kegs and might have a lead on a used CO2 setup, so I've got some time.

Did you scour Craigslist constantly, or did you just kind of happen across one?

Pretty much constant scouring. However, I live about 2 hours from anywhere, so that makes it a bit trickier. The problem is that these fridges are getting trendy. So some people want $1500 for one, but some people just want them out of their garage. So persistence pays off. And good luck with your start into brewing. It sounds like you're getting set up well before you begin. I kinda wish I'd started off kegging. Sooooo much easier!

Here's my $50 craigslist sanyo kegerator (best deal ever--thank you crazy UCLA students), some kind of garden tool for a tap handle (need to fix that), and my rocket hand pump in a crappy box (will someday build a nice one). Pictured with my bitter that just came out of the handpump. Also need to add a drip tray--that towel is not exactly attractive.

kegerator.jpg

Awesome thread! Here's my submission for it. I started with just a chest freezer with taps coming off the top using PVC tubes to run the lines in. But I thought it looked a little tacky and decided to build out the corner of my man room for my beer equipment. Here are the photos:

15735_549517106326_17502548_32257178_867050_n.jpg

15735_549517081376_17502548_32257173_53711_n.jpg

15735_549517091356_17502548_32257175_638814_n.jpg

15735_549517096346_17502548_32257176_5847444_n.jpg

15735_549517101336_17502548_32257177_4073069_n.jpg

haha, extra points for the burner and guitar amp in the pic! Beer + fire + guitar = awesomness! Great idea with the drawer slides too. :D

Here's mine. It's a Danby 4.4. 2 kegs and the 5# tank fit nicely inside. Parts are from kegconnection and the rails are kitchen cabinet handles from home depot.

I've had it for about 6 months. It was kept in the garage until we moved to a bigger place and now the wife lets me keep it in the kitchen. Refill trips are much shorter now.

photo33.jpg

kitchen cabinet handles!

I was wondering how I was going to do that part. Thanks.

Looks nice, and I am glad your trips are faster, got to love that.

Ahhh, I finally can add my keezer to the thread! I made the tap handles from a hybrid of ideas found here. I still need to finish another one and add a drip tray. I will put my labels on the bigger ones.:rockin: I may still just paint them too.
my_keezerR.jpg

my_tapsR.jpg

Ive noticed that just about all of these kegerators have at least 2 taps. Ive ordered a single tap keg set up. do people think this is a waste?

For the record, Im a poor university student. I got the stuff incredibly cheap and I already own a fridge that has 1 keg capacity. I figured I wouldnt be able to afford to keep two taps going anyway, but do people find a single tap is a waste of time?

Ive noticed that just about all of these kegerators have at least 2 taps. Ive ordered a single tap keg set up. do people think this is a waste?

For the record, Im a poor university student. I got the stuff incredibly cheap and I already own a fridge that has 1 keg capacity. I figured I wouldnt be able to afford to keep two taps going anyway, but do people find a single tap is a waste of time?

One keg is better than none and it really takes less than an afternoon to setup so I wouldn't call it a waste of time by any means, just a good start for the time being. I have two taps with a spot for a 3rd, but find I have trouble keeping beer on tap with the 2. If I had just 1 it would always be flowing, but I like the options from having two.

Back