Expired Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuddlyBurrito

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my second batch of brew its a "Flander's Brown Ale" went and picked up the supplies and my LHBS sold me some expired yeast, an not just by like a month. Expired on November 13, 2008 its a SafBrew T58. So get this, he knew that sold me them expired because he gave me two packets of them. I didn't notice till i got home and thought to myself man thats why he gave me two. I called him this morning and he said "you should be fine, thats why i gave you two just put both in at the same time" so, should i got exchange them for one in date or do you think I'll be fine. My LHBS is about 45min away...

HELP plz. :drunk:

I think you'll be fine. Yeast is a pretty tricky thing to kill. If your beer doesn't start fermenting by the time you hit 48 hours, I'd call him back and complain. I don't think you'll need to though.

I think you'll be fine. Yeast is a pretty tricky thing to kill. If your beer doesn't start fermenting by the time you hit 48 hours, I'd call him back and complain. I don't think you'll need to though.

thanks for the help, by the way im new (as if you cant tell from the post count) ill post in the new tread and get a greeting some time

You should learn how to make a starter several days prior to brewing to make sure your yeast is good and to reduce lag time. ;)

+1. Normally making a starter with dry yeast isn't needed (I usually do anyways), but with old yeast, it's a safe way to check your yeast.

Back