How can I convert this All Grain recipe to extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you use BeerSmith? If so, plug in the recipe but instead of the base malts (pale and two-row), use light DME and adjust the amount until the gravity is the same as in the recipe.

Don't think you'd get quite the same beer doing it all extract, but if you can do a partial mash then it's very doable.

I'm not looking for exact just something that gets me in the ballpark with out going all grain. Seeping specialty grains isn't a problem, I just haven't partial mashed yet.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, if you want to use Munich malt, you're going to have to mash it. There are a bunch of different malts/grains used in all-grain recipes that simply can't be used in extract/steep techniques. Munich is one of them. Palmer's How To Brew, Chapter 12, has a basic list.

Partial mashing isn't hard at all; don't be intimidated. Look for DeathBrewer's partial mashing tutorial in the Beginner's section. It's awesome.

That aside, converting an all-grain recipe to extract & steep isn't so hard. As a rough rule, 1 pound of pale malt = 0.75 lbs of extract syrup = 0.6 lbs of extract powder. That'll get you close enough to make fabulous beer.

Good luck!

Bob

Another idea, apendecto, is look in the recipe database here and find an extract stout recipe that looks good or close to what you want.

Latest posts

Back