Pomegranate Jelly Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEVENJAN

Reaction score
I put together 2 pints of pomegranate jelley that hadn't set up, in a one gallon jug. I also added an apple cider spiced drink mix. I had some leftover champagne yeast that I added after the boil. proofed the yeast and added it. we'll see what we get. Just for the fun of it. I am concerned about the pectin. But, that's natural as well, right? I tasted it and it was very sweet. Alcohol just around the corner.

experiments are fun. I have a half gallon of Apple Cider from the local Fruit farm with a packet of bread Yeast going right now just to see what I get. It is clearing nicely and I'll probably bottle it soon.

Hmm sounds interesting, did you get an OG reading to see if there is enough/too much sugar?

I didn't get an OG reading. I just bought an Hydrometer today at Beer,Beer and More Beer in Riverside, Ca. I bought some DME extract today also. My Daughter went to the Czech Republic last summer and she had some apple beer. She said I should make some. I've got wheat beer in the fermentor right now so when that is done I plan on making the apple beer. I make my stuff in a Mr.Beer 2 gallon tub. Anyway the Jelly/wine is fizzing away. So I've got Canadian Draft bottled and half given away, Vienna Lager bottled and curing, Wheat beer in the Mr. Beer, my Honey/Molasses mead going in the secondary and the Pomegranate wine going. When the Wheat gets done I'm going to start the apple beer and then use the apple juice jug to make JAOM mead. I have the yeast for all of that. Oh yeah and I'm thinking of making watermelon wine. Not that much out there on watermelon wine but I'll try anyway.
I finally like chemistry. I guess the chemistry set I got as a kid did pay off.

I just checked my concoction of Jelly and spice and everything nice and it is fizzing away. I read on another post about Pomegranate Wine not fermenting.
I did use Champagne yeast and that might be the difference. I do know that the Jelly had a high sugar content and that might be why it's going like crazy also.I feel confident that I will get something out of this that wil be wine. Whether it will be drinkable or not is another story.

It is still bubbling. It has slowed down quite a bit but I sampled it and it is definitely fermented. It will take awhile to mellow out but it's pretty tasty. I don't know what the OG and FG were/are but it is absolutely alcohol. I will transfer it to a secondary next week....probably.

I just bottled the Pomegranate wine. I got three 22 oz. glass bottles and two 12 oz. Coke bottles. They are in the garage in a cabinet. I hope I can forget about it for some time...years perhaps. I didn't do an OG or FG, but I tasted it and it is alcohol.whew. If nothing else I will be able to cook with it.
I bottled my Mead in September, 2 wine bottles and two 20 oz plastics. I am going to let it sit for months ...at least.
I still have my honey and molasses concoction to bottle up, but I'm letting it mellow a little more before I disturb it. I have been making beer though and I am enjoying that immensly and so are my friends that I golf with. I took some to a tournament and we shared some on the eighth hole. A Stout and a wheat. I had a black and tan. Mellows out the stout.

Most fruit is *Very* acidy and many have extremely strong flavors. Remove the sugar and add Alcohol (Fermentation)... and it can taste a little funny in that "Alcoholic Battery Acid with a Fruity Nose" vein....

Jack Keller said you want a Wine with the Essence of fruit... Not alcoholic fruit juice. They cut the juice with water and sugar before brewing... to cut down on that whole "KaPow".. and balance things out a bit.

Step 1: Let it sit a while... It will get better.
Step 2: If it is extremely Acidy... backsweeten to taste. A little sugar can knock the edge off and bring the flavors alive without turning it to Alcoholic pancake syrup.

Good luck

John

Thanks John. It's a waiting game now. I figure I'll pop one of the small bottles in the spring. I'll see where I go from there. Actually my mead seemed a little stout also. I have been reading that it mellows with time also. Hope so. Thanks, Steve

Back