Hi, new here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpinDance

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Thought since I found this site and even posted a couple times that I should introduce myself. :) I started brewing ale last fall, after starting to make wine and cordials last spring. So far I've made a Trappist-style ale, an Imperial stout and most recently a honey-brown ale. The first 2 came out well. The honey-brown isn't ready to drink yet, although I'm impatient to see how it comes out.

I've been surprised at how many bottles have made their way into my house since I've started to make stuff!

SpinDance

Thanks! Nice to be here.

Just curious, it looks like you folks have a format to your posts, and I gather I now need to figure out interesting names for each brew and my brewery? Are there any, um, standards, for such things?

SpinDance said:
Thanks! Nice to be here.

Just curious, it looks like you folks have a format to your posts, and I gather I now need to figure out interesting names for each brew and my brewery? Are there any, um, standards, for such things?

There are no guidelines to choosing names for your brews/brewery. Most people go with stuff that is personal to them, inside jokes, and things like that. You could name your beers based on a mishap durring the brew process, or example, if you forgot to sanitize your ladle before you stirred your wort, you could call the brew "Unsanitized Ale", or "Dirty Ladle". Have fun with your naming, and be prepared to answer the question "Why'd you name it that". The same concept applys to brewery names.

About the post formats, I am still kind of new here myself, but I havn't noticed anything about specific formats. This place is pretty laid back compared to other forums, for example there is a lot less "flaming" here. I think this is because most forums are full of high school freshmen, so they bring the maturity level down. This place appears to be a bunch of people who share interest and just want to learn from others experience, help each other out, and talk beer. I think you will like it here. Good luck with your naming.

Yeah, I keep thinking that I should name my brews after something. I contemplated naming my Oatmeal stout "Lazy Dogs Oatmeal Stout" because our two dogs just lay around and watched me brew it. But when push came to shove, I named it Oatmeal Stout II because it's the second batch of the same recipie. Not glam... I know. But it drinks the same.

patrck17 said:
This place appears to be a bunch of people who share interest and just want to learn from others experience, help each other out, and talk beer. I think you will like it here. Good luck with your naming.
Amen to that brother. This forum is, with only a few exceptions very civil and even the 'heated" discussions are conducted with a minimum of flamage.

2nd Street Brewery said:
Amen to that brother. This forum is, with only a few exceptions very civil and even the 'heated" discussions are conducted with a minimum of flamage.

QFT: Wouldn't it be great if all forums had an age limit of 21?

Oahu said:
QFT: Wouldn't it be great if all forums had an age limit of 21?
My 4X4 board that I run does, the previous owner finally had enough of the kids and closed it, I took it over, built an admin team. We decided that under 21 could only post in chit chat, unless they have an adult sponsor. We've had a couple occasions when the sponsor had to talk to them, kids seem to take it better coming from someone they know, then a faceless name on the interweb. So far it has worked.

2nd Street Brewery said:
... This forum is, with only a few exceptions very civil and even the 'heated" discussions are conducted with a minimum of flamage.

Glad to hear that. I don't mind good give-and-take discussions, but I don't see any reason for flaming and prefer to keep away from that sort of thing. I've got too much real work to do to mess with that.

Speaking of which, I've got to figure out what to do with a zillion pounds of zucchini. I don't think it'll make beer, though! :confused:

Speaking of which, I've got to figure out what to do with a zillion pounds of zucchini. I don't think it'll make beer, though! :confused:[/QUOTE]

The only thing zucchini is good for is throwing at birds wile you are enjoying your brew in the back yard. Yich!

SpinDance said:
Speaking of which, I've got to figure out what to do with a zillion pounds of zucchini. I don't think it'll make beer, though! :confused:

Zucchini Bread
Fried Zucchini
Grilled Zucchini (throw in some peppers and onions too)
Sauteed Zucchini
Raw Zucchini (in a salad)

Fried and Grilled go well with beer :cool:

...or just send it all to me :D

El Pistolero said:
Zucchini Bread
Fried Zucchini
Sauteed Zucchini

Are you affiliated with Bubba Gump? :D

Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There, uh, shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole... shrimp gumbo, panfried, deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp... shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich... that's, that's about it.

El Pistolero said:
Zucchini Bread
Fried Zucchini
Sauteed Zucchini

LOL! How's this for the list:
- homemade bread using cooked, mashed zucchini (or other summer squash) instead of oil/fat
- used as a fat substitue in other baking
- pan fried in squash, lettuce & tomato sandwiches
- sauteed with a bit of sweetener on them like french toast
- stirfried
- chunked in soups
- made into custard like pumpkin pie
- same made into ice cream

The last 2 my husband just made up this summer, and oh my, are they ever good!

I'm going to try pickling some, I think. Haven't done much with pickles for a while.

Bread goes well with beer, and so does the stirfry and sandwiches. :)

I'd send you some, but I doubt it would ship well and you're pretty far from here!

AlaskaAl(e) said:
Is there anything that doesn't go well with beer? I always like to have a beer with my beer, and then maybe a beer for dessert. :D

...beer float...very tasty :cool:

SpinDance said:
LOL! How's this for the list:
- homemade bread using cooked, mashed zucchini (or other summer squash) instead of oil/fat
- used as a fat substitue in other baking
- pan fried in squash, lettuce & tomato sandwiches
- sauteed with a bit of sweetener on them like french toast
- stirfried
- chunked in soups
- made into custard like pumpkin pie
- same made into ice cream

The last 2 my husband just made up this summer, and oh my, are they ever good!

I'm going to try pickling some, I think. Haven't done much with pickles for a while.

Bread goes well with beer, and so does the stirfry and sandwiches. :)

I'd send you some, but I doubt it would ship well and you're pretty far from here!

At the risk of totally hijacking your thread, I've got to say you missed:

Scrambled Eggs and Zucchini, and...
Scrambled Eggs, Spam, and Zucchini

then there's...

Zucchini, Eggs, Spam, and Zucchini
Zucchini, Zucchini, Eggs, Zucchini, Spam, and Zucchini

Zucchini, Zucchini, Zucchini, Zucchini, Zucchini, Zucchini, Zucchini, Zucchini, Zucchini, and Zucchini :D

I'll have the spam spam spam eggs spam spam.

Speaking of, if you have a chance to see Spamalot, GO. I saw it when it was in Chicago, and I've never laughed so hard. First musical I didn't get bored off my ass in the middle of. And they sell their own brand of Grail Ale.

Back