Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrHops said:
Here is my new electric BIAB rig. I'm just waiting for the electrician to install the spa panel and outlet. The cart is actually a $45 shelving unit from Lowes with $17 worth of rolling, lockable 2 inch wheels.

Very simple, love it! I take it you adjust the dial to control temps. How quick is it to respond?

I only have one burner now, I figured I would figure out how to make it work before I buy the others.

Thanks to those who helped with dimensions and parts.

IMAG0305.jpg

I started with BIAB, then went thermo nuclear on a build out. I really like the simplicty of your setup, especially now that I need to clean all of my "better" parts.

View attachment 100862

Here is my new electric BIAB rig. I'm just waiting for the electrician to install the spa panel and outlet. The cart is actually a $45 shelving unit from Lowes with $17 worth of rolling, lockable 2 inch wheels.

Wife wanted me to be able to contain basically everything and move it around. This Costco wire shelf with castors for $90 and some modding worked well. the big empty space under the MLT is where I put my re-circulation tank (cut rubbermaid trashcan) with the IC and pump in it when not in use.

DSCN0148.JPG

fergyrock said:
Wife wanted me to be able to contain basically everything and move it around. This Costco wire shelf with castors for $90 and some modding worked well. the big empty space under the MLT is where I put my re-circulation tank (cut rubbermaid trashcan) with the IC and pump in it when not in use.

What is a recirc tank used for? I'm doing AG on a three tier gravity fed system now, no pumps. I would like to be able to whirlpool though in the future. I have not heard of a recirc tank yet.

What is a recirc tank used for? I'm doing AG on a three tier gravity fed system now, no pumps. I would like to be able to whirlpool though in the future. I have not heard of a recirc tank yet.

nothing to do with whirlpooling.
Instead of using a ton of tap water for my immersion chiller i run a sump pump in an ice water bath. chills 6 gallons down to 70 in 10-12 minutes. I run the first 5-10 gallons of really hot water that comes out of it into my cleaning buckets then recirculate.

I use 2 10lb bags because they are cheap at my local convenience store but there is always 2-4 lbs left in the water. so 2 common 7lb bags should work. Unless your cold tap water is pretty warm.

A few pictures of my rig, not that flashy but she is a work horse. In the process of making another Kegel. I brew in my carriage house it over 100 years old post and beam, this summer I will working on one half of it to make a nice little brew aria this is a design build so it will take some time and many home brews. :tank:

0120131638.jpg

0202132221.jpg

0202132203.jpg

0202132316a.jpg

I've been perusing (read drooling and/or shuddering) through this list for about a week trying to get my head around the either single or dual tier stand I want to build. This is my start, a Tower of Power with my custom maple stand. Obviously drawing on Blichmann's influence for design. Brewed with it already and REALLY dig the on-board cord storage and retractable folding table. Only wish I'd have known about butler hinges before I mortised in standard utility hinges. There are adjustable metal feet for leveling on the bottom, though with how much this thing weighs it's not really going anywhere.

I'd been planning on adding hooks to hand mash paddle, lids, Thermopen, etc., but may hold off now until my stand it built. Thanks for the inspiration(s) everyone!

20130201_211351.jpg

20130201_211613.jpg

I finally got around to finishing mine this weekend. It is essentially the same as Lil' Sparky's original gravity-fed brewing tree with one little difference. I'm a lazy slob, so instead of welding the bottom tier directly onto the trunk, I put it onto a sleeve that can be raised and lowered with a boat winch. That way I don't have to pick up 10+ gallons of wort in order to drain it into my carboys. I plan on popping the cherry on this one next weekend.:ban:

View attachment 5150

View attachment 5152

View attachment 5153

Love that design!

I've been looking at the three tiered systems - northern brewer in particular. Im worried about stability, but am otherwise ready with the cash to pull the trigger.

Given that I am going the store-bought route, what can anyone tell me about them?

Are they stable?

Who makes the best ones out there?

Blichmann Engineering makes it... I bet if there were stability issues inherent with it's design, it would be exposed by now. Many brewers use it-no problems... Just don't be stoooopid and load all the weight on one side... Spread it out around the post as shown in the product pictures.

Here is my two-tier system. It is a copy /adaptation of the rig that DiverPat posted last year. Since this pic, I've added a RIMS tube and Honeywell valve.

IMG_00000020.jpg

IMG_00000001.jpg

well I finally got my rig ready for its first beer. Here are some pictures of my brutus clone automated rig.

rig.jpg

control unit.jpg

GUI.jpg

chiller2.jpg

no just have to flush after each use no problem have a drain on the right bottom to drain out the hole system.

well I finally got my rig ready for its first beer. Here are some pictures of my brutus clone automated rig.

That is awesome! Do you plan on automating the valves? I see valve icons on the display but it looks like the valves are manual. And which controller are you using?

Cheers!

Yes. The control unit and software are already set up for the valves all I have to do is install them when I get enough money for them. I got a PLC I am selling so I can get the valves if anyone interested?

I'm using a DAQ card in the PC to controll the PLC and monitor the thermocouples. The PLC controls the output relays.

Back