Double Infusion??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptSammy

Reaction score
OK, coming back to all grain after several years, and trying to figure out my new equipment.

I purchased a full setup, and then got married, hence the years of hiatus.

I have a ten gallon Gott (Rubbermaid) with false bottom, a pair of converted kegs (15gallon?), a converted half keg (7.5 gallon?) and a 12 gallon conical fermentor.

I did a trial run yesterday of a Belgian enkel single infusion and did well, although I found that my recovered hydrometer (may have the name wrong there) for measuring initial gravity turned out to be a thermometer and I couldn't tell where I actually landed, will purchase one tomorrow.

Now I want to do a dubble to throw the yeast cake into for a big ferment, ran a recipe thru Beersmith, and not sure how to do a Double Infusion with the numbers it gives me, I'd like to further my experience with a Double Infusion.

It says to add 19.35 qt @ 134.8 for 30 minutes, then 17.20qt for 30 minutes and mash out with 15.05qt for ten minutes. I am no rocket surgeon, but I dont think all that is going to fit in my 10 gallon Gott with the roughly 22lbs of grist.

Any tips on how this goes, as well as how best to use my gear, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, lovin this forum!

edit: BTW, doing ten gallon batches.

What do you mean with a double infusion? Is it a step mash where rising the mash temp is done by adding hot water?

Kai

Not sure, I just selected "Double Infusion, Medium Body" in BeerSmith. Just wondering how others are brewing with similar equipment.

Are you using the first batch as your strike water and "double infusing" the second batch?

Sounds intriguing and also, sounds like a cooler would not be the right equipment for step mashing. Sounds like you might have another vessel better suited for direct heating, like a keg? Maybe use one of the converted (not sure how or what converted into) for a mash tun and directly fire it for your steps?

Let us know about the double infusion, anyway...

:mug:

I think he may be talking about strike water and then mashout?

Strike water is near to 10 to 12 degrees over the desired mash temp.

Mashout is entered as another step by you in the program and you determine the liquid volume and rest temp you want (168f) and the program will give you the temperature to use (ie: 200 f) to end up with the desired rest temp (168f).

Note: Do not use double infusion as a choice for mashout as this is intended for double temperature rests ie: 122f and then 150f.

Unless you're doing complicated beers or using undermodified malts (I'm looking at YOU, KAISER!), you can make great beer 99% of the time using a single infusion mash. Mash in at your temp (cooler for a more fermentable wort, warmer for a less fermentable wort/fuller body) and let it set for an hour. Don't worry about step mashing and double-infusions and all of that until you get the basic process locked down.

the_bird said:
Unless ... using undermodified malts (I'm looking at YOU, KAISER!)

I don't think that I ever had undermodified malts to use. But a double infusion with a protein rest at 130-133 *F and a simple decoction for mash out has become my standard mash (for German beers) and I can do that mash in about 1hr 20min. I found that raising the mash temp with boiling water infusions makes it very easy for me to hit the saccrification temperature dead on every time.

Kai

I am trying to focus on german beers (esp the Trappist styles) so maybe that is what I am aiming for.

Maybe Beersmith is suggesting I strike 19.35 qt @ 134.8 for 30 minutes (protein), then 17.20qt @ 199 for 30 minutes (sacrification), pull first runnings, and then mash out by adding 15.05qt @206 for ten minutes?

When I brewed a lot (years back) I did decoction, but now I find myself trying to set up a three tier for a more relaxed brew session.

Is there a good rule or practice that will get me going on this, as Beersmith looks to be confusing me?

Sorry the terminology has begun to escape me.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Kaiser said:
I don't think that I ever had undermodified malts to use. But a double infusion with a protein rest at 130-133 *F and a simple decoction for mash out has become my standard mash (for German beers) and I can do that mash in about 1hr 20min. I found that raising the mash temp with boiling water infusions makes it very easy for me to hit the saccrification temperature dead on every time.

Kai

I thought that you had found a source for some undermodified stuff... my memory must be slipping.

the_bird said:
I thought that you had found a source for some undermodified stuff... my memory must be slipping.

I thought the Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner was, but I don't think it is. Maybe sligly less modified, but still fine for use w/o decoctions.

Kai

I did see some malt listed on one of the sites as being "undermodified"; not sure if it's the same stuff you had. If I come across it again, I'll send you a link.

So when you do your double-infusion, single-decoction, how long are you letting it sit at the protein rest temp? I'd like to do a classic rauchbier once the lagerator is free, I was thinking maybe doing what you do rather than a full-on decoction. How long at protein rest, maybe 15-20 minutes?

Back