First all grain 1 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowtires

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am a new brewer from canuck land. I have done the mr beer kits then i moved onto extract brews. I have a mash tun and i am ready for my first AG. However, i dont have a second kettle to heat up sparg water. Can i run my mash water into a clean 5 gallon pale so i can be heating my sparge water? Then run the sparg into the kettle and pour my bucket of first runnings in there?

into a

So long the pail is food safe plastic you're fine. Do you plan to fly or batch sparge?

If you have a spare cooler that's 5ish gallons, you can use that as a hot liquor tank. Heat up your sparge water to 190 or so, pour into the cooler, then use your boil kettle to catch the wort.

I do it every time, collect my first runnings in a HDPE bucket, transfer my sparge water from the BK, then dump the bucket into the BK. Eventually i'd like to get a dedicated HLT, but it is definitely optional, there are many other things ahead of it on my to buy list!

Though lately I've been thinking about switching to no-sparge. If you spend a couple extra bucks on a little bit more grain, you can get away without sparging at all (if your MT is big enough!).

Is there some sort of calculation for this no sparge method? I like it already

(edit) I found all the info here
http://***********/stories/techniques/article/indices/9-all-grain-brewing/1407-skip-the-sparge

Thanks for the tip bduane

I am an all-grain brewer. I only have I kettle. I just heat my sparge water about half-way through my mash and pour that into a 5 gal drink cooler until I am ready for my sparge.

Is there some sort of calculation for this no sparge method? I like it already

(edit) I found all the info here
http://***********/stories/techniques/article/indices/9-all-grain-brewing/1407-skip-the-sparge

Thanks for the tip bduane

Good article there. After reading it, I almost decided to switch to no sparge. If you don't mind paying a little extra for grain to make up for the efficiency loss (and it's pretty minimal, really) it's a good route when you don't have all the equipment available for traditional methods.

Back