Honesty hurts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnie1980

Reaction score
Made a batch of oatmeal chocolate stout. Pulled the recipe from " brew" magazine and followed the directions to a t. It has been in the carboy for 7 days at 66 degrees.
Now for the honesty part, I had quite a few brews while making this and didn't take the OG when I finished. I made it to bed that night and that was an accomplishment in itself. It's at 1.20 now, any idea how long it should go for before I bottle.

Wait until you've achieved a steady gravity for about 3 days in a row that is close to your expected final gravity. Then let it ride for another couple of days. The bottle./

Depend on if you want to secondary or not. All my beers go a minimum of 1 month before I bottle. 99% of the time that means 1 month in primary. But in the rare instance I do use a secondary it usually rack it on day 14 making sure that fermentation is complete, and leave it in secondary for a minimum of 2 weeks. Either way it's a month from yeast pitch til bottling for me and another month in bottles. The best beer comes with patience.

1.020 is a decent FG for a stout. If it's the same in a week or two, go ahead and bottle it!

If you wait at least a week or two, much of the suspended stuff and extra sediment will fall to the bottom, so you'll have a better beer in the bottle with less crud in the bottle as well.

I've woken up the next day not being able to remember pitching the yeast. Although that is recipe for disaster, all of my brews have turned out great. Don't underestimate the hunger and strength of newborn yeast!

Back