AG Red Hoppy Ale, first recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoptologist

Reaction score
I learned the basics of all grain brewing straight out of the gate. Never tried extract nor kits, had a smart teacher, or so we like to think. regardless, here is my first AG Red ale. 5 gal.

11# Maris Otter
1# crystal 60
.75# Cara Pils
.75# Cara Red
2oz roasted barley

.5 oz Columbus at 60 min
2.0 oz Centennial at 30
2.0 oz Columbus at 20
1.5 oz Columbus at 15

pitched with WLP 001 California Ale
Thoughts?

Me, I'd probably move those additions to 15, 10 and 5. But it's your beer, do what you like. Looks good!

I just made a red thats pretty close to that grist bill except i used pale choc instead of the roasted barley. for hops I used columbus and falconers. fermented with denny's 50. Its turned out real nice.

It's already been brewed, and consumed. Turned out quite tasty, sadly didn't dry hop and that seems to be what was missing.

I like the idea of pale chocolate malt instead of the barley.

Thanks for the feedback

I learned the basics of all grain brewing straight out of the gate. Never tried extract nor kits, had a smart teacher, or so we like to think. regardless, here is my first AG Red ale. 5 gal.

11# Maris Otter
1# crystal 60
.75# Cara Pils
.75# Cara Red
2oz roasted barley

.5 oz Columbus at 60 min
2.0 oz Centennial at 30
2.0 oz Columbus at 20
1.5 oz Columbus at 15

pitched with WLP 001 California Ale
Thoughts?

It's too late now, after already been brewed, but there is one change I'd make and that is in the hoppy. A "hoppy" beer needs more hops late in the boil, and not so many early in the boil.

Like this:
.5 oz Columbus at 60 min (or to 30 IBUs with this addition)
1.0 oz Centennial at 20
1 oz columbus at 15
1 oz centennial 10 minutes
1 oz Columbus at 5
1 oz centennial at 0

That would make a hoppy beer, instead of a beer with hops flavor, if that makes sense.

Back