wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't recommend wheat beer as your first AG if you have a conventional mash tun. Wheat kernels have no husk and are quite hard and a bit smaller than barley. It's more difficult to get them crushed properly and if you do they tend to set thing up for you to have trouble getting a good grain bed filter and can lead to a stuck sparge. If you choose to do a BIAB batch the stuck sparge and poor quality grainbed become a moot point.

Third AG batch, first attempt at wheat beer. Perhaps some advice on how to avoid the stuck sparge. I use a 15 gal keggle with false bottom and a spinning type sparge arm..

Third AG batch, first attempt at wheat beer. Perhaps some advice on how to avoid the stuck sparge. I use a 15 gal keggle with false bottom and a spinning type sparge arm..

Use rice hulls in the grist, works great. How much depends on your ratio of wheat/barley, we have done 100% wheat with 1lb of rice hulls (6gal batch) with no problem sticking.:mug:

Back