Black India Style Saison Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Not necassarily a true "Saison" grain bill, more of a lets empty the grain bins type of beer, but I am hoping it turns out excellent. I have nice hot weather in my area for the next month so I am going to go with Saison yeast 3724 and ferment in my garage. I would just like some input on the recipe, I would hate to brew 16 gallons of a stinker, but I am thinking this looks pretty good.

16 gallon batch

14 pounds vienna
12 pounds pale
2 pounds oats
2 pounds rye
2 pounds C60
2 pounds dehusked carafaa III
4 pounds amber inverted candi sugar
Saison Yeast
OG = 1.066
FG = 1.008 to 1.012….shooting for not so dry with the high mash temp
IBU = 50 or so
Mash at 154 -155

1.5 oz millennium at 60
1 oz nugget at 20
1 oz cascade at 5
1 oz summit at 5
1 oz Columbus at 5
1 oz ammarilo at 5
1 oz cascade at FO
1 oz summit at FO
1 oz ammarilo at FO
1 oz Columbus at FO

Dry hop is still to be determined, but may be a pile of cascade

Just a comment on the yeast. I just made a very simple extract saison using 3724 that fermented in the high 80's/low 90's. After 5 weeks the gravity still hasn't quite dropped to my liking yet. Patience, young grasshopper.

This beer is in the fermenter. Pitched on yeast cake from 3724 saison that went from 1.057 to 1.004 but it took five weeks. Crazy flavor with this yeast!! Og of the black hit 1.074. Should be an awesome brew

I'm liking it! I actually had something similar in mind but without the IPA part....sort of a black rye saison using a slurry of wyeast 3711. Very interested in seeing how it turns out! Love those hops, too.

After one month, I just put the dry hop (columbus and amarillo) into this beer and took a gravity measurement and tasted a sample. Gravity is sitting at 1.006.......flavor is nothing short of fantastic. This yeast strain is AMAZING........... I don't get much farmhouse "funk" from it at all. Just a balance of flavor (spice, fruit, sour) that I have never tasted before.....love it.

After one month, I just put the dry hop (columbus and amarillo) into this beer and took a gravity measurement and tasted a sample. Gravity is sitting at 1.006.......flavor is nothing short of fantastic. This yeast strain is AMAZING........... I don't get much farmhouse "funk" from it at all. Just a balance of flavor (spice, fruit, sour) that I have never tasted before.....love it.

I really like that yeast too. I was drinking one of my Black Saisons last night and realized that it is a great brew.

Your brew sounds good. Keep us posted about the flavor after it is done and carbed up.

yes, i too was thinking along these lines, and glad to hear it's tasting excellent and i'll be following for more updates too!

i LOVE Firestone's Wookey Jack Black Rye IPA, and there is a thread on here with a great sounding clone of that. i've been toying with pretty much brewing that clone, but fermenting with 3711... don't know if i should change up the original grain bill much being it's a totally different yeast, or just go for it. either or, a black rye saison sounds great!

Back