Noob hops grower, any advice from the seasoned pros?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBigD

Reaction score
Just picked up my Mt hood and centennial rhizomes yeasterday and theyre still in the fridge. I was planning on sprouting them indoor for another week or tow until im sure we are out of the crazy new hampshire weather.

I wanna build a basic trellis to grow them up. Could it be as simple as two 12 ft poles with some string between the two of them and then a couple hanging down to the plants for them to climb?

A really healthy hop plant can weigh a good twenty pounds or more, so your "poles" need to be pretty sturdy lest they fold together from the weight of multiple plants hanging from the top line.

Taking that into account, then yes, a couple of strong poles sunk deep enough with a top line between them would be a basic setup to then hang drop lines to the bedded plants to climb.

I would use something more substantial than "string" for the top line given the potential weight it will have to suspend, and the bines will appreciate very rough drop lines to climb (they don't have tendrils like "vines" do, instead they rely on tiny little prickly hairs to hold onto things). Skinny hemp twine will work well, as will more pricey rope made from cocoanuts (<= what I use).

hth!

Cheers!

I'll be watching this thread as well. I friend of mine gave me 6 two year old crowns. 4 Northern Brewer and 2 Kent Goldings. All of them sprouting already.

Here's what I have. Overkill? Yes. Another cross and get rid of the box and I can add two more mounds though. I do use the coir twine from coconuts.

image-1817474438.jpg

image-1051350893.jpg

Here's what I have. Overkill? Yes. Another cross and get rid of the box and I can add two more mounds though. I do use the coir twine from coconuts.

jeepin,how long of a 4x4 did you use for your main beam? 16 feet, 4 feet in the ground? i was hoping to have something kinda short, so as to force the plant up, then let gravity bring it back down, then let it grow up again. :tank:

BrewinBigD said:
jeepin,how long of a 4x4 did you use for your main beam? 16 feet, 4 feet in the ground? i was hoping to have something kinda short, so as to force the plant up, then let gravity bring it back down, then let it grow up again. :tank:

You got it. I have 12' out of the ground with a 6' cross at the top.

Those are some strange looking "hops" in you pics. Do they grow as tall as the others? Mine dont. Just wondered what fertilizer you used to get them to look like that heh heh.
Bob

Rbeckett said:
Those are some strange looking "hops" in you pics. Do they grow as tall as the others? Mine dont. Just wondered what fertilizer you used to get them to look like that heh heh.
Bob

You talking about the tomatoes in the back or the uncanny resemblance to marijuana of a young hop bine?

urbanmyth said:
Jeepin, how long did it take for you to get production?

This is just my second year. I got cones last year. Not a lot, but enough to throw some fresh hops in one batch.

This is just my second year. I got cones last year. Not a lot, but enough to throw some fresh hops in one batch.

Groovy. I ordered four rhizomes to plant this year. If I get any sort of production this year I will be happy as a pig in...mud...

Just picked up my Mt hood and centennial rhizomes yeasterday and theyre still in the fridge. I was planning on sprouting them indoor for another week or tow until im sure we are out of the crazy new hampshire weather.

I wanna build a basic trellis to grow them up. Could it be as simple as two 12 ft poles with some string between the two of them and then a couple hanging down to the plants for them to climb?

pretty much what i did only i used dog runner cable across the 2 poles. One pole is 12' where the cable is attached. On the other end i added scabed pipe to the pole and put a pulley on it so i can lower the cable down for ease of harvest and tying climbing strings to the cable. this pole is 20' at the pulley.0706011035.jpg

Back