Expected OG??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keiskamma1

Reaction score
I need help figuring out my expected OG for the following fermentables:

16 oz American 2-row grain
8 oz American Crystal 10L
8 oz American Crystal 20L
16 oz Honey
7 lbs Light DME

Also, is there a place her or elsewhere online that I can use to figure this stuff out.

Thanks in advance!

2-row needs to be mashed. Not much use in steeping it, and crystal malts aren't mashable. Is this from a recipe?

He never really said what he's doing. There's no real reason you COULDN'T mash the 2-row and crystal together. But it would be much easier to steep the crystal malts and just replace the 2row with a bit more extract.

Not sure what you mean by crystal malts not being mashable. They don't need to be mashed, yes, but you can sure put them in a mash.

He never really said what he's doing. There's no real reason you COULDN'T mash the 2-row and crystal together. But it would be much easier to steep the crystal malts and just replace the 2row with a bit more extract.

Not sure what you mean by crystal malts not being mashable. They don't need to be mashed, yes, but you can sure put them in a mash.

Exactly, just wouldn't get anything out of mashing you wouldnt get from steeping the crystal. Yours was much clear. Replacing the two row would be simpler. Also, crystal doesn't contribute fermentables.

Looks like 5 gallons of ingredients to me

Back