Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can just boil as usual and topoff after, but you'll get altered hop utilization. Since this recipe is light on the hop anyway, however, you'll probably be fine doing so. If you're concerned about it, you could always up one of the later additions or move them a bit earlier in the boil though.

here ya go....try this....for a 3 gallon boil...then top off. You need to add more hops and adjust boil times as indicated below in updated recipe....because, as smagee said you will get less hop utilization with a smaller boil volume.

Do yourself a favor and download the free trial of BEERSMITH.....give it a try...it is free for 21 days.....then you can buy it for around $23.00 when you decide you like it....and I promise you will.

Here is the modified recipe below....REMEMBER...you will need to adjust hop times for hops with different AA values that are assumed (i.e. 9.5% AA for Centenial assumed...if the specific lot of hops you buy is different in AA you will need to adjust.....very simple in BEERSMITH)

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.041 SG
Estimated FG: 1.010 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.4 IBU
Boil Time: 55 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.375 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
0.375 oz Centennial [9.50%] (30 min) Hops 6.8 IBU
0.375 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.375 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Well I just had my first taste of the extract version: I hope it gets a lot better. Over 3 weeks in primary and kegged for 1 1/2 weeks.

Can't tell if it has a metallic taste or carb bite or what. Just has a bad aftertaste and not much of a beer taste. I'm sure the recipe is good I just screwed it up somehow.

Just made this with US-05 and it came out awesome!:rockin:.......I came in a little low on the og at 1.038 but it is still a very clear , easy drinking beer, and the vienna malt comes through nicely...It was a little yeasty at first , after 2 weeks cold and carbed, all the yeast dropped out and left me with a very clean beer.Thanks Biermuncher...well done:mug:...I plan on making another batch next week , but will shoot for an OG of 1.044 this time for a little more fullness.

I have my 3rd batch cooking right now and I'm having a pint of my second.

2011-06-01%25252015.05.34.jpg

Thanks for the help guys! If the stars align, I may be able to brew is weekend. Mgortel, I will check out Beersmith. Thanks for posting the exact recipe.

Anybody who successfully dryhopped this before care to share type of hops used, amount, when to add, and if its okay to just add straight to primary (I'd rather be lazy and not secondary). I did try searching thread for dryhop and got one person who said they did it, but didn't mention how it turned out. I'm 4 days into primary at this point. Thanks!

Thanks Hokie. I'll have to give it a try. Just dump into primary at the 2 week mark and dryhop for the last week?

I go with .5 oz cascade pellets for 3 days starting on day 10 or 11, and get great results. Adds a nice hop nose to the beer and just a touch of flavor that sits well with the light body of the beer.

I dry hopped in the chilled and carbonated keg with an ounce of Cascade. Probably left them in there well over a month. Turned out great.

Taking a poll.

Was planning to transfer to the keg yesterday but when I took the CO2 bottle to be filled, they informed me it had to be tested. Won't be ready until next week. Been in primary for two weeks. Thinking about transferring to secondary to help clear. Should I? Or should I leave it sitting?

Been in primary for two weeks. Thinking about transferring to secondary to help clear. Should I? Or should I leave it sitting?

Leave it. See the picture about 20 posts ago that looks crystal clear, that was after 2 weeks in the primary. I rarely secondary anything, only dry hopped beers, or anything I want to bulk age over a month

Add me to the Centennial Blonde club. Brewed it last night as my second all grain batch, OG was 1.043. The only change from BM's recipe was the base grain. The local LHBS was out of domestic 2 row, so we substituted British 2 row. Can't wait to taste it in a couple weeks.

I brewed the extract version this morning and managed to screw up the hops. I'm pretty sure my hop schedule was centennial at 55, cascade at 30, centennial at 10, cascade at 5 (or the other way around). Any comments on what that might do to the beer? O.G. was spot on.

I brewed the extract version this morning and managed to screw up the hops. I'm pretty sure my hop schedule was centennial at 55, cascade at 30, centennial at 10, cascade at 5 (or the other way around). Any comments on what that might do to the beer? O.G. was spot on.

It will produce a fantastic beer.

---

Anyway, I just bottled my second attempt of this one earlier today.. it's been sitting in the primary since January .. :)

Tasted pretty good though, even if it's been sitting on the yeast cake for over 5 months. (No autolysis flavor whatsoever)

I didn't add any fresh yeast, so I hope it carbs up :)

Tapped the keg on this just after 2 weeks of total time. It tastes great and I hit my numbers pretty dead on.

Trying to decide when to cold crash and keg. I see anywhere 7-10 days to a month. Mine's been 8 days. Been at fg for about 5 days. Tastes great, but yeasty. Any suggestions for how long to wait?

Thanks.

Trying to decide when to cold crash and keg. I see anywhere 7-10 days to a month. Mine's been 8 days. Been at fg for about 5 days. Tastes great, but yeasty. Any suggestions for how long to wait?

Thanks.

I'd give it two weeks total for the yeast to finish their job.
After that you could cold-crash and add gelatin to make sure the yeast and particles have dropped.

Well I screwed up my attempt at this because (I think) of a not so clean keg. I'm thinking about trying again, but before I do I wanted to see what people thought of the extract version? Obviously the all-grain has gotten awesome reviews, but can anyone attest to the extract recipe?

i m planning to brew this beer, but i want to know what people think based on results, how many weeks for fermentation? and seconday or not?

i m planning to brew this beer, but i want to know what people think based on results, how many weeks for fermentation? and seconday or not?

I bottled my first batch of this on 5/27, I'll let you know how mine came out in about a month or so. It's not like there aren't any comments on this recipe, there's only 135 pages of them. Didn't you read any of them?

135 pages of conversation about this recipe can be boiled down to the following statement:

It's really, really good.

So brew it.

threeeight said:
135 pages of conversation about this recipe can be boiled down to the following statement:

It's really, really good.

So brew it.

Hell yea!!!:D I can't wait to brew this.. It's going to be a staple in my new Keezer:)

Brewed this tonight in a massive storm (three tornado warnings blew, but damnit, I was brewing!). My numbers were a little weird and the storm cut everything just a tad short. I ended up with 1.034 as my SG and I just pitched 1056. Planning on kegging this in about 2 weeks and serving a few days after kegging.

Tried my hydro post boil sample and it was quite tasty. Can't wait till its finished and kegged!

I'm brewing a batch for a friends party in 3 weeks, and I thought I might do 10 gallons and keg half for myself. My pipeline is pretty full, so any harm in drinking this 6-8 weeks from kegging? I know it's not hoppy.. so I'm assuming it will hold.

Kegged my extract version last night. O.G. was 1.043 and finished at 1.009. Not clear at all but the initial taste was nice and crisp. Only problem was a sharp bitter lingering.....and I like (D)IPAs. Odd lingering and I'm hoping it subsides.

Got it at 12psi in the fridge so I'll give it a test this weekend.

Made this again last night My mash temperature was little higher than usual when I first checked it (157) Forgot to take in account that I preheated the tun this time,,,,duh. cooled it down for the last 40 minutes. Other than that everything when fine. Went with the SO 5 this time, next time I might try the SO 4

Just did an 11 gallon AG batch of this yesterday. I figured with 136 pages of posts that it has to be a good one. Only cost me $30 for the entire grain bill, yeast, hops and whirlfoc. It was bubbling away very fast and even got into my airlock a little by the next day. I was surprised about that for a 1.040 beer. I was going to take all of it to the cabin for vacation in a couple weeks but now I'm thinking I might have to "accidentally" leave one in the kegerator for when I get home.

This was my first AG batch in my new electric setup. I also a̶m̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶d̶r̶i̶n̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ just had my first pull out of the keg - consequently right after I came in from mowing the lawn.

It's very crisp and light. Perfect summer beer. I might just finish this keg today. Not really. But maybe.

Damn good recipie BM! :mug:

First pint from my first attempt kegging. Not bad for 2 days under pressure. Wouldn't say it's fully carbonated yet. After drinking a couple I'll turn the pressure back up for a few more days. Couldn't wait though.

Not clear at all though. Clarity reminds me of a bottle conditioned wheat. Next time I'll add a pinch of moss.

image-2234259800.jpg

It's only been 2 days dude! It'll clear up as the yeast settle to the bottom of the keg, as well as once chill-haze proteins settle to the bottom. I've had hefeweizens turn into kellerweiss after two weeks in the kegerator.

With more than 1300 posts and tons of positive feedback, I thought this would be a good recipe to try for my first all-grain brew. Despite sitting around a burner in 100 degree Texas heat, things went well. I brewed 5.5 gallons and split it between two primaries. In one I pitched US-05 and in the other WLP008 (east coast ale). I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

Back