Filtering...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JebCkr

Reaction score
So, I've got an IPA I just transfered to secondary. It had a good deal of floating "stuff" from hops and the like. When I transfer from secondary to bottling bucket, I assume I can filter the beer? Any suggestions on what to use? Like a coffee filter inside of a big funnel or something?

Any suggestions, pictures, etc appreciated. :mug:

don't filter it like that - you'll probably aerate it.

My method would be to transfer by siphoning slowly and carefully to the bottling bucket - then add the priming sugar solution, and gently stir it up to create a nice pile of gunk in the center of the bottling bucket while mixing in the priming sugar.

Search on cold crashing & gelatin fining to help reduce the crud in your beer while it is still in the secondary.

Good luck.

+1 on the time filter. Give the beer plenty of time in primary (at least two weeks) to let stuff settle to the bottom. Then, if you transfer to a secondary,which I normally don't unless I'm going to be dry hopping, then transfer carefully to not stir up the sediment from the bottom.

Also cold crashing, moving the bucket to a cold location, for a couple of days before you transfer will help compact the sediment.

I've had a few beers with floating yeast balls that never fell out. I've had a steam beer in a secondary for a couple of months that I haven't bottled partly because it has a lot of floaties in it and from my last experience with floaties they aren't nice to my guts and not worth drinking. Besides that the beer started at 1.036 and only got down to 1.018, one of my first batches, not sure what went wrong.

Anyway, in some cases it seems time will not solve the problem. What I did with another batch was to cut the end off a disposable hop sock and put it on the end of the siphon hose when transferring to the bottling bucket. It worked alright, there was a lot of junk stuck in it when I was done, but I still had a few floaties in the bottles.

Definitely just wait for a few weeks and it'll clarify on its own. If you're impatient, add gelatin (you can do a search and find the technique.)

Back