Ideas for a quick brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam01

Reaction score
Hello all;

I finished of my Hobgoblin clone (Orfys - was great) but I'm out til OktoberFast is done in a month. I'm looking at making something to tide me over. Looking for ideas...

I was thinking about making only 2.5-3gallons so its gone by the time the OktoberFast is done. Would there be problems brewing a half batch and storing it in a 5gal carboy?

I was thinking of a summer ale, or mild ale, or hefe? But I need something with a short fermentation and kegging schedule.

Thoughts/recipes? Thanks.

5 pounds two row
5 pounds wheat
.70 oz ammarilo at 60 (6.9 AA %)
.50 oz ammarilo at 10 (6.9 AA %)
.50 oz ammarilo at 1(6.9 AA %)
WLP001, Pacman, notty.....etc..
mash at 152

Primary till the yeast flocs and keg.....OG = 1.050 or so........use whatever hops you like. Simple, easy, delicious....American Wheat

The beer above is literally running through the wort chiller right now...I fully intend to be drinking it in 2-3 weeks...unless I dry hop.

My recipe is for 5 gal......you can knock the malt/hops down to your batch size.

Would there be problems brewing a half batch and storing it in a 5gal carboy?

As long as you don't have an extended lag time it will be fine, the produced CO2 will more than fill the carboy's extra space. I'd either use a dry yeast (S-05, S-04, etc) or make a starter to be on the safe side.

Given the summer temps, I typically have to wait several hours for the wort to cool from high 80s to pitchable temps. I'll probably get a mid 70's fermentation temp.

Thus either of those yeasts would work for me. I've used the dry yeasts and they are
blowing out the tube within a day on a regular 5gal batch.

Now a style/recipe...

Here's my quick beer:

Type: All Grain
Date: 8/18/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Marshall
Boil Size: 6.60 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 84.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 72.73 %
1.50 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 18.18 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
0.25 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.03 %
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [7.90 %] (60 min) Hops 14.5 IBU
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [7.90 %] (10 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [7.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.23 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4.50 gal Portland OR Water
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.06 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.95 %
Bitterness: 17.2 IBU Calories: 222 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.0 SRM Color:

I mashed it at 156 last time, and it turned out a bit on the sweet side (high FG). In the past I've mashed at 150 for 60 mins and it turns out much better I think. The batch I'm drinking now fermented at 72F, pitched with 1 cup of thick slurry. It was down to FG in 4 days, kegged on day 5, and on tap on day 8. With 001 I have never had a problem drinking it really green, but I used WLP005 on it once and it needed to condition for about a month before it was really ready, and even then I preferred the WLP001 version.

I also do this with 5lbs 2 row, 1lbs corn, .5lbs carafoam and no honey malt for a true lawnmower beer. It's very nice for those long BBQ's where you know you'll be thirsty but don't want to get a serious buzz.

Also, subbing Sorachi Ace or Amarillo for the 10 and flameout hop additions is a really nice twist.

A British mild would be great! We did a mild swap a couple of years ago, where we had 10 days to brew, ferment, carb, and send out our milds. Check out the thread, it's called 10der and mild or something like that. The recipes are in there, too.

Wow, that Mild Ale thread is loooooooooong...

I picked BierMuncher's mild recipe. We'll see how it turns out in a week or so.

BTW, since I'm doing only a 3gal batch, should I use 1/2 of a Safale 04 package or
the entire thing?

Everything else scales down...

Thanks.

My quick beer boiling right now is:
2 -gallon batch
2 lbs light DME
8 oz carapils - steep
2 oz roasted barley - steep
60 min - 0.5 oz cascade
15 min - 0.5 min cascade + 1/2 whirlfloc tablet
us-05 at around 70 deg.

Should be a nice red american ale

Quick and easy on the wallet! specially when you have some parts left over from other brews.

Back