SLOW fermentation???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so for my second batch I am doing a Deadguy clone from Beer Captured, partial mash.
I brewed the batch on 3/9 og 1.066 .002 higher than the recipie not bad for my second time. I pitch Wyeast 1338 European yeast once the wort cooled to 70. The yeast was started 3 hours earlier so the bag was starting to bulge. Airated the wort and let it sit.
On 3/18 i checked sg was 1.057 @ 64 degrees bubbling away happily
on 3/23 sg was 1.042 @ 64 degrees bubling slowed way down. I shook the fermentor to try to re-airate, no more bubbles
today 4/13 sg was only down to 1.030 at 66 degrees. whats going on????

I haven't moved it to the secondary yet becxause I think that will slow down fermentation even more. there is still a decent film of krausen on top. Should I repitch more yeast? if so what type?

Help and thanks

Wait a few more days and check your gravity again. If it goes down, then you don't have anything to worry.

HaHAHA!!!!

I've been having the same problem with MY deadguy clone using the same yeast!!!! At 2 weeks it was sitting @1.030 as well.

I shoved it back in the closet, gave the bucket a swirl and wrapped a blanket around it....I was going to check it this weekend, but I didn't get a chance to....I'll probably take a reading in the next couple days.

I'm thinking that it is the yeast.
I had even made a huge starter for it....

I've come across a couple postings, including one on aussie homebrewer mentioning that this is a slow yeast.

thanks revvy , misery loves company. It has taken 5 weeks to get to 1.030 :confused: . at this rate my beer should be ready to rack to the clariffying in 3 more weeks...

So what do you guys think about pitching in a second batch of yeast? the sg has been sloooowwwwly dropping but dropping. If it doesn't drop should I pitch a second time to hit my FG or end it high.
I don't mind waiting, but I dont want to wait to long and introduce more bacteria or funky flavors...

capn said:
thanks revvy , misery loves company. It has taken 5 weeks to get to 1.030 :confused: . at this rate my beer should be ready to rack to the clariffying in 3 more weeks...

So what do you guys think about pitching in a second batch of yeast? the sg has been sloooowwwwly dropping but dropping. If it doesn't drop should I pitch a second time to hit my FG or end it high.
I don't mind waiting, but I dont want to wait to long and introduce more bacteria or funky flavors...

I'm not going to repitch...A beer can sit on a yeastcake for a couple months without affecting it. As long as the gravities dropping it's doing it's job, just on it's own time table.

Back