Yest Nutrients & Energizer: guide me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhettoDickens

Reaction score
Hi meadmakers,

I just finished my first mead a week ago and I am working on a preparing for another batch, but I really want to get my process down, especially in concern to yeast nutrients and energizer. It seems like staggered nutrient and/or energizer additions are better. I know why it is better (allowing multiple generations of yeast to get the nutrients instead of just the first generation), but I am having trouble with two things: the schedule, and what kind of nutrients and energizer to use.

1) As recommended by my LHBS, I was sent home with "Wyeast Beer Nutrients" and "BrewCraft Diammonium Phosphate." Are these good choices. I have read that the DAP can instill some bad flavors...is there a better option?

2) LHBS recommended I put the nutrients in on the day I make the must and then add the DAP on day 2 or 3, so I went with 3 (after degassing). After poking around forums and books, it seems like the way to go is staggered nutrients. Can someone explain this to me and how to decide on a schedule (or if the same schedule can be used universally)?

I really appreciate any advice/insight you can offer on these two issues. Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

So it sounds like I should get some SuperFood or Fermaid-K, and the DAP seems alrightm, but I have read in multiple sources that DAP can add some off-flavors. Is there a better option, or is it just a matter of figuring out the fine balance?

What are your sources that pure DAP produces off flavors?

I know some products containing DAP and other ingredients in unknown quantities should be avoided, but I've never heard anything bad about just DAP when used in the right amounts.

I remember reading it on a forum post or two. I am also fairly certain that Michael Fairbrother commented on it (and I think he said he didn't use it because of the off flavors) in his 2012 NHC seminar (which you can listen to for free if you are an AHA member). I will let you know when I know for certain.

It seems, though, that if used in the right ammounts it is great (and I am basing this that "Hightest" and Ken S. both advocate for its use).

edit: I apologize in advance if Michael didn't directly say that. I will listen to the audio when I get a chance...

He judged my oaked cherry melomel (made using hightest's nutrient schedule) at Mazer cup this year and scored it a 45 :)

Let ke know what you find. I always like new information. :mug:

Will do. I plan on re-listening to the Ken S. Jamil show about mead as well as the Michael F seminar from NHC012. I'll keep ya posted!

In the meantime...should I ditch the wyeast beer nutrient and get fermaid-k?

edit: and congrats on the 45! Wouldn't mind a glass of that!

Was looking for info on nutrients and found this thread (and the link to the info page). One question though. Has anyone used Super Ferment for their nutrient additions instead of Fermaid K?

http://www.southhillsbrewing.com/superferment-1-lb

I have some that I have used on my last 3 batches (out of 4 total) and all three fermentations seemed to go well (my first batch didn't go well but it was with whatever the LHBS gave me in the kit). I just don't have much of a basis to compare it to.

Latest posts

Back