Help with Pumpkin ale tap handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a small ceramic pumpkin that I want to turn into a tap handle for my pumpkin ale. it is about three inches tall and has a small hole on the bottom. I was thinking about filling the inside of the pumpkin with something then use a drill tap to make the female threads for the tap handle. If anyone has an opinion as to what is the best way to go about this, i am all ears.

photo.jpg

photo (1).jpg

THAT IS SO AWESOME! Man, I've been getting the bug to make handles out of randomness from around that house and you've motivated me to do so.

another thought , can I use a dremel tool with a diamond grinder to enlarge the opening on the bottom, then use a tap insert and epoxy to fill the cavity?

That sounds like a solid idea to me. Not sure on how well the ceramic will take to a dremel, though....

just find a brass or SS adapter to fit the size of your existing hole and adapt to a tap handle, short piece of all thread, fill with epoxy.

cheap chinese ceramic VS a dremel tool.......maybe if you had a few spares for backup.

just find a brass or SS adapter to fit the size of your existing hole and adapt to a tap handle, short piece of all thread, fill with epoxy.

cheap chinese ceramic VS a dremel tool.......maybe if you had a few spares for backup.

I can just get another one from target, lol :D

You could fill the inside with epoxy, set a screw in the epoxy, and add a short wooden dowel to the bottom on which you could mount the threads for the tap, you'd have a bit more height from it if you'd like.

Here is the update, I used my dremel tool with a fine grind stone to bore out the hole on the bottom of the pumpkin. It worked great, but right as I finished the tip broke. So my next step is to create the female threads in side of the pumpkin. I think I want to use a dual thread insert and fill the rest of the cavity with epoxy. If I go this rout should I fill the whole thing with epoxy then drill out the 1/2" hole and screw into the epoxy (I don't think this will work), or should I insert the insert into the wet epoxy and let it cure (how do you prevent the epoxy from getting into the threads?). Any thoughts?

Can you fill it with epoxy, then stick a dowel rod into the wet epoxy, then drill and tap the dowel? Or cover the back side of the insert with duct tape and set it in the epoxy directly?

I did something similar, but used "The Good Stuff" foam from Home Depot. It was easy to cut out. I used epoxy to glue a black standrad tap handle inside it. Turned out pretty good.

I was talked into using "the good stuff" foam and a long nut (~1.5"). it is still curing but here it is. I bought a second pumpkin in case this does not work.

pumpkintap-1.jpg

Back