Whirlfloc and Porters and Stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do, it helps compact the trub tighter in the bottom of the brewpot so I can get more clear wort off faster.

I'm planning on making a double chocolate stout soon. I'll be adding cocoa powder to the boil with 10 mins left. Will whirlfloc affect the chocolate flavor? I'm wondering if it might adversely affect the chocolate flavor by forcing the cocoa out of suspension more quickly.

It shouldnt. I made a DC Ras stout a while back and used a whirfloc. It was one of the tastiest brews I have accomplished.
-Me

I used both whirlfloc and irish moss in my Sinebrychoff Porter clone, and it took first place in a local fair competition in the 'Stouts and Porters' category. Tastes great, and apparently can be to style with it, so go for it!!

I'm planning on making a double chocolate stout soon. I'll be adding cocoa powder to the boil with 10 mins left. Will whirlfloc affect the chocolate flavor? I'm wondering if it might adversely affect the chocolate flavor by forcing the cocoa out of suspension more quickly.

I did something similar (cocoa powder with whirlfloc in a chocolate stout) and it's still very chocolately (is that a word?), and there's still some cocoa powder floating around in the bottled beer. That said, I used 6 oz of cocoa powder for 15 mins into the boil, if that helps your measurements at all.

Back